10 Things All Colorado Natives Know To Be True

Only a true Coloradan can relate to all of these 10 facts about the 303.

42
COIADA

Colorado is the best state in the US. I might be a little biased seeing as I was born and raised a mile above sea level, but Colorado is still a pretty amazing state. Right now, we have a problem in Colorado though, everyone else is just now discovering the fact that life in Colorado cannot be beat. The solution in my opinion is to ask these “Coloradans” how many of the following they can relate to. I don’t want to discourage people from moving to Colorado, but before you can call yourself a Coloradan, you have to earn that title. Once you can relate to all 10 of these wonderful truths about Colorado, then and only then may you call yourself a true Coloradan.

1. The Rocky Mountains are the best mountains. I laugh every time my friends bring up the “mountains” in North Carolina because anyone who has been in the sheer presence of the Rocky Mountains knows that every other “mountain” range is really a “hill” range. Listen, no hate to the Smoky Mountains but I have climbed mountains in both North Carolina and Colorado, it took me a quarter of the time to climb the hill in NC.
  2. Sports Authority Field’s real name is Invesco Field. The Bronco’s have always played at Invesco Field, I don’t care what the name says on the front of the stadium. Can we please all sign a petition to change the name back to Invesco now the Sports Authority has gone under? Thanks.
  3. You have a better chance of being attacked by a shark in Colorado than getting a snow day. When I was in school in Colorado my house could be buried in snow and I would still be expected to be in school. Now that I’m in NC I’ve had more snow days than all of the snow days I’ve ever had in CO combined, for a combined accumulation of less than a “dusting” in CO.
  4. The Rockies are never good, but there’s still some reason we all keep going back to watch a game. Summer is just not complete unless you’ve been to a Rockies game. Good news is, there’s no obligation to know anything about baseball, you’ll leave with an even lower baseball IQ after one Rockies game, but a ton of sweet sunset pictures with the mountains because the view can’t be beat. Fun fact: Coors field is the only baseball stadium where home plate faces west, take a look at those mountains, aren’t they beautiful.
  5. The best part of a Nuggets game is Rocky. There seems to be a trend that most Colorado sports are just mediocre when it comes to the actual sport, but the atmosphere at these games are unbeatable. If you’ve never seen Rocky climb the stands or make a half court shot you’ve never witnessed the best mascot in all of sports.
  6. We don’t all smoke weed! Let’s be honest, we’ve all been subjected to numerous weed jokes after telling people you’re from Colorado. Like no, and we don’t all ski to school either. PSA please stop with the Mile High joke, it’s outdated and it was never funny.
  7. Halloween was the biggest struggle as a kid. You’re never really sure what the weather is going to be like on a late October night in Colorado, but if one things for sure, you better plan your costume around your winter coat.
  8. Layering is an art. Colorado weather is unpredictable, and unpredictable is an understatement. The worst job in Colorado has got to be a meteorologist because chances are, you will be wrong about the weather 99% of the time. It will go from a decent spring day, when you’re convinced summer is just around the corner to a blizzard in the blink of an eye. Always keep extra layers with you incase mother nature gets the itch to be funny!
  9. You are immune to the altitude. It was the funniest thing to watch Broncos games just to see the other team sucking wind connected to oxygen machines, but now that I live at near sea level for more months out of the year than I am at altitude, I have come to realize that the altitude is a real thing. Man, there is no oxygen in Colorado but you’d never know that as a real native.
  10. Colorado is the best state. You have the mountains, you have an amazing sports scene, you have a wonderful capital, and you have the best sunsets. You have amazing food and sometimes all amazing seasons in one day. What more could you ask for? Colorado pride runs as deep as the grand canyon, so if you are unable to attest to, personally, all 10 of these facts please refrain from jumping on the bandwagon.