10 Helpful Tips For Dealing With Anxiety

"Everybody experiences anxiety differently, but these are some small tips that help me when anxiety or panic starts to set in."

136
S FAVIM

If you are experiencing anxiety, the best things you can do are to talk to your doctor or psychiatrist about medication or begin seeing a counselor or therapist. These things may not cure your anxiety, but they are small tips and tricks that help me in anxious moments. Everybody experiences anxiety differently, but these are some small tips that help me when anxiety or panic starts to set in.

1. Take a shower or bath.

Soaking in a warm bath or shower can be a real relaxer. Even if you don't necessarily need to shower or bathe, it can help anxiety immensely. Maybe put on some calm music and use your favorite scented body wash as well.

2. Use aromatherapy.

Whether you light a candle, put on your favorite scented lotion, use essential oils, or set up a diffuser, aromatherapy can ease anxiety immensely. My personal favorite scents that help me relax are Bath and Body Works "Stress Relief", and Johnson & Johnson's baby lotion.

3. Exercise

Whether it's going for a run in your neighborhood or even walking on the treadmill while watching your favorite Netflix show, exercise can release endorphins and pull your mind away from your anxious thoughts.

4. Yoga

Yoga is known for its relaxation and stress relief. Whether it's joining a yoga class or simply setting up a mat and following a yoga video in your living room, stretching and moving your body in different ways can really release some tension and anxiety.

5. Disney music or movies

Focusing on Disney show-tunes or watching your favorite childhood movie can remind you of the simplicity of Disney. It really brings me back to the calming place of being a child, and it has some important messages to remember in times of need as well.

6. Painting or Drawing

Creating art of any kind can always be super helpful. Even if your art is random and abstract, getting your feelings onto paper can be super relaxing and soothing.

7. Venting to a friend

Putting your feelings into words can be really helpful, especially when it's with a trusted friend who can provide helpful advice. Although it may often be difficult to pinpoint the stressors and triggers of your anxiety, letting a friend know what's bothering you can be especially helpful.

8. A mug of your favorite hot beverage

Making yourself a hot cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate can be really soothing. Slowly sipping a warm beverage is one of the most relaxing things, especially on those colder days.

9. Drink a full glass of water

This can be a first step in dealing with your anxiety. Drinking enough water during the day can be helpful in so many ways, and this is something simple to focus on while simultaneously feeling refreshed and fully hydrated.

10. Breathe.

This sounds simple, but it's one of the best things that can help your anxiety. Focus on taking ten deep, slow breaths, or even use a breathing technique video online. Controlling your breath can slow down your racing heart, and put you on the right track towards feeling better.