1 Year Later, Here Are The Game of Thrones Finale Questions That Still Keep Me Up At Night

First of all, how dare you?

265
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-television/game-of-thrones-season-8-finale-recap-the-iron-throne

It has been over a year since Season 8 of Game of Thrones aired and slowly destroyed everyone's joy and love for the brilliant 7 seasons that came before it. 1 year later, here are the things that still keep me up at night, boiling my blood with hot rage.

1. Does anyone ACTUALLY think Bran had the best story?

When, for some reason, selecting boring ass Bran Stark as King, Tyrion asks "who has a better story than Bran?" Guys, do you remember there was a reason where Bran was literally not even in one episode? His story was SO BORING that he was just, cut out of an ENTIRE episode of the show. He spent the entire series being dragged around, people dying for him to become the Three-Eyed Raven and he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WITH IT.

Maybe his above-average intelligence and knowledge of Westeros past and future would be a reason to crown him, but miss me with that "best story" bullshit.

2. Did Arya... ever experience any interest in anything remotely nautical?

I know a lot of fans liked Arya's "what's west of Westeros" ending. But hear me out: Her brother is supposed to know everything, so in theory, she could just ask him. But also, she becomes the captain of her own ship and sets sail. Does she have any nautical skills? Has she ever expressed any interest in sailing? This seems like a very out of character ending for one of the most badass characters on the show.

3. Why did Grey Worm, who wanted to kill Tyrion for betraying his queen, let Tyrion pick the king?

Grey Worm: *wants to kill Tyrion for betraying his Queen and orchestrating her death*

Also Grey Worm: *allows Tyrion to pick the next ruler*

MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

4. Why would Yara join the laughter about making Westeros a democracy... when the Iron Islands already did that?

When Sam suggests the 7 Kingdoms move to a democracy, he is laughed at by everyone in the meeting... Including Yara Greyjoy, ruler of the Iron Islands that choose their ruler via democratic process. All they had to do was just.... not pan to her laughing?

5. Why did they give precious screen time to such loser characters (Edmure Tully, Robin Arryn) during the LAST EPISODE EVER?

Listen. I am an outward Robin Arryn hater. Since the moment he appeared on screen, a 10-year-old breastfeeding from his mother, I wanted him dead. When he kept chanting "moon door" at Tyrion, I wanted him dead. So when I saw that rat-faced little beast in the season finale, words cannot describe my anger. But, at least he didn't (or hardly) spoke. They had 80 MINUTES to wrap up the greatest TV show to ever grace our television screens, and EDMURE TULLY got to speak for 1 of those minutes? EDMURE TULLY? That is a racket.

6. Didn't the ENTIRE Dothraki army die in episode 3? HOW WERE THERE SO MANY LEFT?

Remember episode 3, the battle against the dead? It was dark, sure, but I think all of us remember the Dothraki charging with their torches and slowly watching all of the flames burn out as the dead approached. Beautifully shot scene. Heartbreaking to lose all of the Dothraki. And then.... they're back? And there's more of them? Where did they come from!!!!

7. Oh, yeah, also, why did Dany who was built to be NOT a mad queen for 7 seasons, torch an entire city?

This is one of the biggest points of contention but if you HONESTLY tell me you watched all 7 seasons of the show and believed that Dany EVER had it in her to torch an entire city, killing innocent men, women and children, we were watching different shows. She killed BAD people. She ALWAYS cared for the innocent. That was bananas out of character and her entire story arc was obliterated.

Let us remember that she did NOT have to help Jon's army in the north. She lost a dragon for him, lost her armies (they all randomly repopulated so no biggie) but she went to a war where she lost a LOT for him. She wasn't selfish. She wasn't power-hungry. She was making choices for the good of the world. Sure, she lost people so very close to her in quick succession, but that is NOT enough to make me believe that in a few days she went from willingly sacrificing her armies for Jon Snow to torching a city for power.

8. How come Arya's ability to literally use other people's faces NEVER mean anything?

Arya spent an entire season at The House of the Black and White training under Jaqen H'ghar. While some fans didn't like the storyline I will admit I thoroughly enjoyed it. Mostly because I thought it was setting her up for some BALLER future scenes. It paid off quickly. She took Walder Frey's face and killed all of his people. It was glorious. Where to next, we thought? To wear Jaime's face and kill Cercei? Ooh, I hope! But.... nope. Never used that skill ever again.

9. Why did they kill Cersei and Jaime so TERRIBLY?

Two of the biggest characters in the show. One so well-loved, one so well-hated. So many incredible ways for them to meet their demise... And they die in a building collapse. Barf me to death. (Also, Tyrion comes looking for them and removes literally one brick and finds them. After an entire building fell on them.)

10. Why did Tormund and Sam survive the battle (when they DEFINITELY should have died) just to have.... no actual plot line?

We see a LOT of people in episode 3 who should have died. The episode did take 6 characters, but many more should have died. Sam literally just laid on a pile of bodies while wights all around him just, didn't kill him. Same with Tormund, though he was putting up more of a fight. Tormund lived just to go north of the "wall" (not there anymore) with Jon and Sam to become grand maester? I love both characters and wasn't rooting for their demise, but I was rooting for realism, and letting people randomly live who were DEFINITELY in the line of fire just... wasn't it.

11. Why would Jon's punishment to be to go north of the wall... with his friends... oooh, really showed him!

Jon's punishment for killing the Queen was to join his friends (and direwolf) in the Night's Watch. Except wildlings can come and go as they please and the dead are all re-dead, and there's actually not a wall there anymore. And his friends are there. What a fair punishment for a Queenslayer.

12. What was the point of the white walkers?

There are 2 major camps for Thrones fans. One is that the major conflict in the series is the political war throughout Westeros, and the other is that the major conflict is the living vs. the dead. I happen to fall into the former category, expecting season 8's largest focus to be Dany/Jon vs. Cersei. But even as a former category gal, I STILL side with the latter category people who are wondering: why on Earth was the FIRST SCENE OF THE SHOW'S ENTIRETY focused on the White Walkers? What was that symbol? Why did they show the baby turning into a White Walker? Though I didn't find it to be the main focus of the series, I certainly felt it held more weight than 1 standoff where a major player built up for 8 seasons was killed in 1 episode? Really, what was their ultimate point?

13. What was the point of revealing Jon was the son of ice and fire?

Here's one of the major questions from the series finale. Jon is revealed to be a Stark and a Targaryen. Ice and fire. Wolf and dragon. For.... what? For literally what possible purpose? He did NOTHING with the title. Hardly anyone even KNOWS about it! He's now back north of the wall doing fuck all when he has wolf and dragon blood? Why did they even make that his backstory if they had no plan for it?

14. Why did Drogon LIGHT A CHAIR ON FIRE HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND METAPHORS?

Drogon, a dragon, who had never actually shown any ability for sentient thought, sees the man who just murdered his beloved mother in front of him, but instead of killing him, torches a..... chair? "He knew that chair drove his mother mad!" Uhhh, no he didn't! Even if it DID drive her mad, Drogon didn't know that!!! He's a dragon and its a chair. And that, my friends, is some dumb shit.

15. What was the point of Brienne and Jaime?

Brienne and Jaime had a really beautiful relationship throughout the show. She showed him he was more than just the Kingslayer and he knighted her in a really wonderful episode 2 scene. And then. Poof. He's gotta go get back with his sister. For no reason. Brienne, left in the dust.

16. How did Bronn, a wanted man, just waltz into Winterfell in episode 2? With a weapon?

This is a small critique, but in episode 2, Bronn waltzes into Winterfell with a bow in hand to deliver a message, and then just dips. He was the enemy at the time. How did he get in? Why did no one kill him?

17. Why did Cersei not kill everyone when they were standing right in front of her in episode 4?

In episode 4, when Cersei killed Missandei, she is standing with her army in front of a very small amount of people, but people she wants dead. They just chat. Why didn't she kill them? Since when does she fight fair?

18. Why did Danaerys and her very skilled group of strategists forget about the iron fleet? And how did ugly ass Euron KILL A DRAGON?

In the "Inside the Episode", one of the showrunners famously said, "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet". Yeah. Dany has literally ONE enemy in the world right now: Cersei and her army, including Euron and the Iron Fleet. HOW DID SHE FORGET ABOUT THEM? AH! And shooting a dragon is supposed to be nearly impossible, and fake pirate EURON GREYJOY gets him on one of his first tries? Yeah, okay.

19. What was the point of Bran, like, in general? 

He's the Three-Eyed Raven! People dragged him through the snow for seasons! Hodor died for him! Ope, and he did nothing. If he knew everything, did he allow everything to happen so he could be king? Doesn't seem right that such a boring, lethargic character would do such a thing.

20. How come the Dothraki and Unsullied just became like, randomly cool about their Khaleesi being murdered?

Especially the Dothraki who are supposed to avenge the death of their Khal/Khaleesi no matter what. Jon killed her and they just, let it go? Said nothing? Agreed with his weird wall punishment? They are so very dangerous, not to be met in an open field and all of that, but sure, their Khaleesi's killer can just trot off into the north.

21. Doesn't someone still owe the Iron Bank like, a lot of money for the terrible investment into the Golden Company?

Ah, the Golden Company. Killed in seconds. A complete waste of money. Cersei's dead, so she ain't going to be paying her Iron Bank debt. Is anyone going to foot that bill or are they just shit out of luck? Does Bran have to? I hope so.

22. Was the prince (or princess) that was promised just... absolutely nothing?

If season 8 taught us anything, it is really that all of the lore and prophecies introduced throughout the series were complete wastes that had nothing to do with the ultimate outcome.

23. Why would they select Bronn as the master of coin? The man just wanted his own castle.

Guys, I love Bronn. He is my absolute top favorite character and I've loved him immensely since "give me 10 good men and some climbing spikes and I'll impregnate the bitch." A girl is Sara Lash, and she's swooning. But even I, a Bronn stan til the day I die can admit this was an ODD ending for him. He has like, no money and spends all of the money he does have on booze and prostitutes. But sure, he can be the ENTIRE KINGDOM'S financial coordinator?

24. What happened to all of the other characters?

Obviously the show wasn't going to do a "where are they now" type montage, but a lot of fates are left unknown. Daario Naharis was left holding down the fort Meereen, how's that going? What's happening in Dorne? Is Hot Pie still alive?

25. Why?

This show was brilliant, and while it became rushed and slightly less well-thought out in later seasons, it was still one of the greatest TV series of all time. But season 8... oof, it was bad. It made no sense. Characters did things that 7 seasons of that character built them up NOT to do. Stories and lore for 7 seasons were entirely ignored. It wasn't the show that started in season 1, and is not how it should have ended.

It has been over a year since the first episode of the final season, something I was once so, unbelievably excited for, aired, and I still get in regular heated conversations where we just go back and forth about everything wrong in season 8. Maybe it'll require 2 years for me to get over the death of such a brilliant show, or maybe I never will. After all, what is dead may never die.

From Your Site Articles