We Have The Grey Matter Mr. Bloomberg. Do You Have The Grit?

It's easy to judge a life you've never lived.

12

I realize you sit in an ivory tower. You've never lived the life we lead. Do you consider yourself superior because you are in a place of power, or maybe your time at Harvard somehow gives you the right to look down your nose at us. You've said yourself it takes more "grey matter" to do the work you do, and maybe you're right, but until you've lived this life, I'd like you to keep your comments about our "grey matter" to yourself.

I'm sure you're more intelligent than we are, after all, it's not rocket science to keep the Diesel engines running on an entire fleet of machinery. No, Mr. Bloomberg, we don't hire a mechanic. There's no time or money for that.

I'm sure you could manage a few punett squares. After all, that's all it takes to breed superior farm stock. Isn't it?

I'm sure you'd have no problem balancing farm marginal incomes, enterprise budgets, and calculate enterprise analysis to keep the farm above water. I'm sure you could do that in your sleep.

I'm sure you'd know exactly what to do if a mama cow prolapsed after you'd been watching her all night. You could save the baby and her mama no questions asked.

I'm sure you can calculate the needs of the a poultry flock. Balancing computerized systems to keep humidity levels, air flow, and floor temperatures on a daily basis to keep the chicks alive until harvest weight is child's play.

We live a life where grit trumps grey matter. Grit is what keeps you going on the early mornings, the hard days, and the feeling of hopelessness a hard winter can bring. Grit keeps food on your table, after all. Our grit is perseverance and the ability to overcome the obstacles thrown our way day in and day out. Before you sit high on your pedestal and degrade the intelligence of the farmers that feed you and your constituents, I'd like to see you step into our muddy boots, calloused hands, and sore backs. try and keep up.

Could you read that angry cow's mind before she tore you up? Could you manage Integrated Pest Management systems to save your corn crop? Could you survive to do it all again next year if you failed? We are masters at our craft and often we have no formal training. How long did it take you at Harvard to cultivate your expertise? We have the "grey matter", Mr. Bloomberg, do you have the grit?