Growing Up "Both"

Growing Up "Both"

When Your Family Celebrates Christmas AND Channukah

9
Growing Up "Both"
Jeremyriad

Growing up on Long Island, it wasn't uncommon to see many Jewish people celebrating Hanukkah in December. Growing up on Long Island, it also wasn't uncommon to see people celebrating Christmas in December. I never felt left out of celebrating one or the other, because I was one of the lucky ones who got to celebrate both.

It was always fun answering "both" whenever someone asked what religion I was. I felt special when kids would ask me about the holiday they didn't celebrate. I felt cool lighting a menorah and hanging up stockings. It wasn't unusual to me, as my mother was Jewish and my dad was Protestant. I thought every household just celebrated whatever they wanted to. It wasn't until I heard "you can't be both" that I began to question things.

"What do you mean I'm not both?" I thought to myself. As far as I knew, I went to temple on some days and church on others.

"Yea, but the Jews don't agree with the Christians that Jesus was the Messiah," other kids would tell me.

"Okay, and? That doesn't mean I can't celebrate both." I was confident in my answer.

My parents didn't raise me religious. I had the option of attending Hebrew school, but I opted out (cue *Hebrew school drop out* to the tune of Grease here). In my home, the holidays were a time of celebration and rejoice. We were taught to be thankful for our health, our home, our wealth, our food and most importantly, each other. My parents didn't instill in me that one religion was right over the other. I don't wear a Star of David, nor do I wear a cross. The only reason I got to celebrate both holidays is because of tradition, not because of religion. My father has wonderful memories of opening presents Christmas morning and my mother has the same after lighting the menorah for eight nights as a young girl. How lucky am I to have two parents who love me so much and want me to share in their wonderful memories and traditions?

So maybe my idea of the holidays might upset those who want to "keep Christ in Christmas" or those who attend Shabbat services every Friday, but I'm not sorry for identifying as "both." In my opinion, my relationship with God has nothing to do with celebrating the holidays, or whether I go to church, or temple, or a mosque or if I worship under the moon. It's been estimated there are 42,000 religions in the world, and I'm the first to admit I haven't studied them all, or virtually any of them for that matter, but that won't stop me from celebrating this holiday season anyway.

Let's stop bickering about who's religion is right and who's is wrong, or why we shouldn't engage in the corporate America holiday season. Let's remember what is really important at the end of the year; we're all still happy, healthy, alive and well. And if you're not those things, remember that all things must pass (shout out to the one and only George Harrison for that lyrical genius) and hang on for better days. Spend time with your family this holiday season, and if you pray, then pray for those less fortunate than you. And to the lucky ones, who celebrate both, don't let any jealous kids tell you that you can't. Instead, share in the joy with them!

Happy holidays, no matter what you celebrate!