How YouTube Is The New Television
Politics

YouTube: The New Mainstream Media

Everyone's favorite video sharing service is taking over.

199
YouTube: The New Mainstream Media
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Youtube_logo_detail.png

YouTube is quickly becoming one of the most popular forms of media. Just a few years ago, YouTube looked completely different from the way it looks today. The website had significantly less substance than it does now, and the majority of content was skits or short clips. However, YouTube is no longer only composed of entertainment media, but also education and information.

The majority of YouTube's consumers are relatively young people who grew up with the platform and rarely any "older" consumers. But even some young people don't understand YouTube's appeal. I've seen several posts online from people I know who are confused as to why someone would rather watch hours of YouTube videos over live television.

There are several reasons people may enjoy this media service over traditional entertainment. First of all, YouTube is a platform that allows creators to have freedom over their own content. There's no agenda behind it, it's all about making people happy. There are some creators that are more concerned with numbers and making money, but this is not the majority. If you're watching a video made by an independent creator, it's more than likely because that person wanted to create the video. A lot of creators also make their content interactive by taking video requests, allowing viewers to vote on what they should make next, etc. It's much more personal and carefree than just watching a TV program.

YouTube is also a platform that is a unique experience for everyone who uses it. You can watch the content that you want to consume whenever and wherever you want. There's no searching for when your favorite show will come on or waiting months for the next season, it's all right there for you. That's not to say that you don't have to wait for your favorite YouTuber to upload their next video, but there are 300 hours of YouTube videos uploaded every minute. That means there is a constant stream of new content just waiting for you to watch it. If you want to see what other people have to say about the ending of Avengers: Infinity War, there are probably already a thousand videos talking about it. If you need to learn how to change a tire, there's a video on that too.

But, as I said, YouTube isn't only about entertainment; there are also people who are dedicated to spreading information about the world around us. Many of these people have to relation to politicians or celebrities and don't care about pleasing them, they only want others to be informed and make it easier for their audience to do so. In a time when it can be hard to trust media outlets to be unbiased, that can be refreshing.

Times are changing, and how we consume our media is also changing. Television killed print, and the Internet is on its way to taking over television. It's only a matter of time before it becomes the main form of content consumption.