Your Local Music Scene Needs Your Help More Than Ever

As restaurants and stores slowly begin to open, music venues and musicians are only facing the beginning of their financial nightmare.

17

It is no secret that this ongoing pandemic has put a huge dagger in the local music scene.

One of the easiest ways to show your support for your local artists would be through purchasing their music. While streaming through platforms like Spotify and Apple Music seem easier in the moment, they give less of a payout than purchasing the music itself. There are a lot of local artists whose music is only available through streaming services so in their case, stream the heck out of it. Over time and through play after play, it gives them a little something during a dire time.

Take another step and purchase their merch if you are able to. Merchandise is where your local artists make a lot of their money so reaching out and buying a shirt, poster or vinyl puts money in their pockets while they are unable to perform.

Imagine your city without your music venues. These places are packed with memories, good times, and dreams. As a community, we rely on them to bring in live entertainment and up and coming musicians and artists rely on them to give them a platform to create.

It would be very irresponsible to put on live shows at this time, but that doesn't put a halt to the entire live music experience. Many bands and artists are putting together "virtual" shows and events through social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram. You can enjoy live music right in the comfort of your own home. During these shows, performers take donations in place on purchasing tickets to see a show in person. Tune in when these become available and don't forget to donate when it allows.

In addition to buying merch from artists, local music venues are also putting out merch to support themselves. Support those important venues who are the backbone of your local music scene. Most venues have released new merch that helps keep them alive until they are able to pack out the buildings again.

Many have also started fundraising campaigns where communities can come together and help with any penny they can. Stay up-to-date with these campaigns and new ways to help financially by following them on social media.

Lastly, share these campaigns, merchandise sales, and bands with your friends. The more eyes on a musician the more support they can be given.

As you go out and support your local business, don't forget about the beloved and high valued venues who are need of our love for the ultimate survival of the local scene.