Should I keep making art?

Make Art, Even If You Think You Suck At It

Making art comes with so many benefits that you shouldn't miss out on because you don't think you're good enough at it.

102
https://unsplash.com/photos/O6fs4ablxw8

I've always liked making art, and I always will like making art, no matter what type of art it may be. I also always try to encourage people I know to make art too, so it can feel as enjoyable for them as it does for me, but they tell me they won't try because they're "not good at it" and "whatever they make will look bad." I hate this response so much to the point where I want to grab my friends by the shoulders and violently shake them.

I'm mostly kidding, but that response honestly does make me pretty sad. Making art has so many benefits that they're going to miss out on simply because they say it's "not their thing," or because they won't like what they make. The act of making art is good for you, it's so stress-relieving and can clear up your mind for a good while. It stimulates the connections in the brain that cause the mind to be even more stress-resistant and promotes emotional control. Creating puts you in a whole different mindset, where you can zone in on whatever it is you're making and tune out everything else. It's almost a meditative state that way.

Making art also fosters creating thinking, because there never is a wrong or right way to make it. Art can never "look bad," it's too subjective. No matter what you make or whether or not you think it's "good," just the act of making art encourages motivation and gives people a sense of accomplishment.

Just because you don't think you have the capability to produce another Starry Night doesn't mean you should deprive yourself of the benefits of sitting down and making something. "I suck at art" isn't a good excuse to not put in the time to do something for yourself that will make you feel good regardless of the end results. It can't really "suck" if there's no right or wrong way to paint, draw, sculpt, color, glue stuff together, or whatever it is you want to do.

There are way too many good things that come along with making art to miss out, and I need you to try it. If you really think your art sucks that bad, just tell people it's abstract.