I Am A College Student With A Job And I Can Assure You It Is Possible To Balance It All

It sometimes requires sacrifices, but that's a part of life.

2921

After you leave home, you quickly come to the realization that money doesn't grow on trees. As a 20 year old, my parents don't pay for everything anymore, nor do I expect them to. Personally, I want to make a living for myself and feel good knowing that I am able to do it (for the most part) on my own. Attending school full-time, juggling a job on the side, and trying to maintain a social life is not always easy, but it is possible, and I'm living proof.

Frankly, I don't know how I would get by without working at least a part-time job while in school. Having a job gives me the satisfaction to know that every time I swipe my debit card, it's the money I've earned that's being put towards whatever I need (or sometimes just want) to purchase. I feel independent knowing that my paychecks are my own and that I don't have to depend on anyone else for basic necessities.

Are there days where I absolutely dread the idea of going to work? Sure. When homework starts to pile up or when my job gets in the way of a social event I'd like to attend, work can seem like the last place I'd want to be. However, it's a responsibility of mine and I know I need the money. After all, I've got bills to pay! Balancing everything sometimes requires sacrifices, but that's a part of life.

Besides the financial aspect a job inevitably brings up, I've learned so much from working. Having a job in college has allowed me to meet so many new people whom I've grown extremely close to. I've been able to work on communication skills, time management, and other qualities that will be necessities someday when I have a "grown-up" job.

I'm here to tell you that being a college student with a job is most definitely possible. Like most things in life, it's not always easy, but it's worth it. I can look back on these years someday and recognize everything I've gained as a result of working while in school, and I know it will be worth it.