Real fans of the USWNT.

If You’re Supporting The USWNST Team Just Because They’re Winning, We All Lose

Support them because they're amazing, not just because they're winning.

61
Women's National Team

For a full month of Summer 2019, the FIFA Women's World Cup took place. The USWNT was the team to watch this year, as they were the defending World Cup champs. And lucky for us U.S. soccer fans, they took home the gold once again.

So, after the game ended, I'm scrolling through social media and I see so many people sharing articles and pictures of the big win. Now, this wasn't a problem until I came across people that I know aren't soccer fans.

I grew up playing soccer. I always keep up with the U.S. (men and women) when they play in tournaments, especially the World Cup. And it irks me beyond belief to see so many bandwagon fans.

So many people, who on any other day would tell you how boring soccer is and talk about how it's only popular in other countries, are so quick to share the win. They're so quick to act like they are die-hard fans.

But you can't just start supporting a team because they win tournaments.

If you have no interest in keeping up with the team throughout the 4 years that they aren't kicking butt in a World Cup, then you can't call yourself a fan when they start winning trophies and awards.

That's not how being a "fan" works. If you want to celebrate the USWNT's win, you have to keep up with them throughout the year. You have to watch their scrimmages and other tournaments. You have to keep up with all the players, not just Megan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan because those are the most talked about.

I'm glad that this team is finally making a debut in the world of sports. I'm glad they're making a name for themselves. I'm glad they're showing the world that soccer is a big deal and that women are just as amazing and talented as male athletes are.

The women on this team are in the spotlight for voicing their opinions and standing up for what they believe in. After their last World Cup win in 2015, they petitioned to be paid more because, even though they're winning more than the men, the men are being paid more than them. They have won 4 World Cups, while the men have yet to win one. They're proudly representing our country, bringing home all kinds of awards.

They're doing SO many great things so they deserve the support of real fans. Not just the ones who only care when their winning titles.