Yes, President Trump, Women Of Color Belong In Congress And In America
Currently

Women Of Color Deserve Their Seats In Congress, Donald, Your 'Go Back' Tweets Won’t Change That

Telling these women to "go back" to their home countries is offensive and unintentionally an insult to his own country.

541

Earlier this week, President Donald Trump took to Twitter to send out a variety of racist comments about four congresswomen of color. The president's racist tweets were defended by his most ardent supporters and criticized by just about everyone else. The tweets targeted Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, and Ayanna Pressley, four women of color, progressive, Democratic representatives.

In his tweets, he says that these four representatives should "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime-infested places from which they came," and that they "originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all)."

While he may go on to insult the apparent lack of ability of Rep. Tlaib, Ocasio-Cortez, Omar and Pressley to work in Congress, Trump may have, in a way, dug himself into a deeper hole with his commentary.

Three of these four women were born in the United States. They originally came from the United States.

And guess what Trump said about the countries from which these women originally came?

They're totally broken, crime-infested, with governments that are complete and total catastrophes, filled with corruption.

By bashing the countries these three women allegedly 'came from' — again, three of four were born right here in the U.S. — Trump bashed the country he himself is running. He calls his own government a total catastrophe.

While Representative Omar may have been born in another country, she graduated high school in the U.S. and attended colleges in the U.S. She came to the U.S. at age 10 and fled Somalia because of the war, finding a home with her family in the United States. She has earned her place in this country. She is the only targeted representative not "originally" from the U.S., but that does not mean she is not from here.

Immigrants make up 13.7% of the U.S. population. They deserve representation in Congress, too, since that's a fairly large portion of the population that will be affected by policies.

Despite making up almost 14% of the population, only 3% of congressmen and congresswomen were born in another country.

Omar deserves that place in Congress. She deserves to be part of the less-than-representative representation of foreign-born citizens in the United States in the decision-making for the country. Omar deserves to represent the 13.7% of the U.S. population who were not born here.

In the United States Congress, there are 127 women, which makes up a mere 23.7% of the 535-person Congress. We must fight to bring that number up to closer to 50%, so if that means we elect women of color, immigrant women, disabled women, Republican women, Democrat women, wealthy women or impoverished women, then OK.

Women deserve their spots in Congress. If they're U.S. citizens, they've earned that place just as much as any other candidate or alternative congressperson.