We Should Be Able To Dress How We Want For Halloween

It blows my mind that people are genuinely getting upset about Halloween costumes.

5

Well, it's that time of year again where everyone complains about Halloween costumes.

The amount of people who get offended is ridiculous. Halloween is the ONE day of the year when adults and children can dress up as whatever they want. How does dressing up ONE day affect your life? It doesn't. If it truly did, then this issue would be talked about year-round instead of only in the month of October. I honestly don't see a problem with a person dressing up as a different culture from their own. Children that dress up as a different culture aren't doing it to criticize or make fun of them, they do it because they admire it. I know the issue most have with that is that the costume does not reflect the actual culture. It's a stereotype, and people think if they dress as that for one day, that they're going to grow up thinking that everyone of that culture looks like that. A simple solution is to teach your kids that the costume is a stereotype and not everyone looks like that. Problem solved.

The costumes such as a basic white girl, for example, are meant to be funny, not taken seriously. So, therefore, I am not offended, even though I fit the criteria. Have a sense of humor.

Now for the sexist costumes. We've all seen the "sexy" costumes in stores. You know, the ones that show off cleavage and are super short. Being a woman, I am not offended by this. So what if a woman wants to show off her body? Let her. How does what someone else is wearing for one day of the year, or any day for that matter, affect your daily life? If you don't want to see it, don't look at it. Some of you may be complaining that they don't make costumes for women that aren't "sexy," well you're wrong. They do make costumes that are modest. Check out a Halloween Express or any similar store. They may not have the exact costume you're looking for, but you can always make a DIY costume from Pinterest.

If you're a parent with young kids, you're probably thinking, "Well I can't keep my children from seeing these costumes while we're out trick-or-treating." I get that. I understand you don't want to explain to an eight- year-old why that person is dressed like that, but you can't avoid the world around you. You can't control what others around you do, say, or wear. People have become so opinionated and entitled, it's crazy. Everyone gets offended by silly things that won't matter in a week, and everyone has something to disagree with. It blows my mind that people are genuinely getting upset about Halloween costumes. We should be getting offended at the people who give out nasty candy that they know no one likes! That's the real Halloween issue.