Why We Need Each Other More Than Ever
Politics

Why We Need Each Other More Than Ever

You and I, we need each other. So let's make America great again.

14
Why We Need Each Other More Than Ever

It's been a little while, guys, but I'm glad to be back writing again. And you should be glad I'm back writing too, because we need each other right now.

I don't know if you have heard, but our new president is making headlines left and right, putting gag orders on important government agencies and generally being an ass. And this is why you need me. And why I need you.

Forums like The Odyssey are never going to be more important than they are now. Between Sean Spicer giving "alternative" facts and refusing to answer the questions of CNN, Trump shutting down the Twitter accounts of things like the USDA, the Parks Service, and the EPA, we've reached a very dangerous crossroads. And at the risk of sounding remarkably self-important, I feel as though it's my duty to combat this bullshit and chicanery.

Like I said right after the election, Donald Trump isn't just the president of everyone who voted for him. He's my president too. And as a writer, as a thinker, it's my job to challenge the things that he does that I deem to be improper or just stupid. But here's the thing. Nothing I say matters if you people don't read it. Writers aren't judged by the works that no one reads. And that's where you come in.

I want you to read pieces, be them by me or other people. I want you to stay informed, stay on top of issues regardless of what side of the aisle you stand. I want you to share things you think are important, to fight against the epidemic of fake news and ultra-partisan media sources. I want you to be a real citizen, an educated member of society who can think for themselves.

When I was in school, I learned that the strongest way to end a piece was with a call to action. So here's mine for you. Think harder, think smarter, and be better people. Start reading articles before you share them. Stay away from trolling people on the Internet and stick to name-calling only in your group chats. You and I, we need each other. So let's make America great again.