Starting A Club In My Freshman Year Of College Was Daunting, But It Has Turned Into My Greatest Memory So Far

The loss of free time and endless effort to start a club has turned into the best choice I have made in college.

20
sailboats

Many of us make numerous good, but mostly bad, decisions in college. We really find out what that the phrase "live and learn" truly means. I want to share about one of my experiences so far, as a freshman who came in during the COVID-19 pandemic, that has only bettered my college experience.

This may sound shocking to many, but deciding to start a Registered Sports Club on campus - three weeks into college - was the best decision I have made in my first four months.

Coming into school with only a few friends from high school, it was hard to meet new people and get involved in new activities. I found that many of the things I loved to do either conflicted with my heavy class schedule or just seemed too complex. At my school, we have a beautiful waterfront with many amenities - including sailboats. I got to campus and was shocked to learn that we did not have a Sailing Club, and so, this club became my baby.

The amount of effort and frustration that the start up of this club entailed was mind-boggling, but it helped me find friends in a time where distance from people is encouraged and starting college is difficult.

To this day, I have made numerous friends and connections due to the creation of my own club, and I have also been blessed with so many opportunities for more things I can be a part of. (Also, if you haven't been sailing, I highly recommend it!) I have found that it is often times the small, odd things we do that wind up reaping the greatest benefits. I thank God each and everyday for the headache that can be the FGCU Sailing Club because it continues to bring me joy in all aspects of my life.