The Green New Deal Is Terrible

The Green New Deal Is Terrible

The Green New Deal has included ties that will cause economic decline and possible failure in the U.S.

tornin
tornin
289

"The new face of the Democratic Party is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez." I sincerely hope she is not. I am all for progression in society. I avidly support gay rights, equal opportunity for all people, and an end to any form of racial/sexual discrimination. However, Ocasio-Cortez is a complete imbecile. She may be the youngest individual to ever be elected to congress, but that may not be a good thing. Ocasio-Cortez is the lead on a new bill called "The Green New Deal". Now it is quite obviously on FDR's New Deal and will probably end up failing like his and cause more unemployment. This Green New Deal, which I will refer as GND from now on, proposes lower carbon emissions on livestock, airplanes, and automobiles. This sounds great, except it is actually a disguised way to create bigger government and as a vehicle to push the far left agenda. Let me explain the GND in a bit more detail. The GND proposes that over a ten year span they want to neutralize all carbon emissions in the United States. Also it wants to provide income for those unable and unwilling to work. What does unwilling to work even mean? Does that mean I can sit at home, do nothing and claim the GND protects my rights to do nothing? It also calls for a family sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations, and retirement benefits for all Americans.

The bill clearly states that it stands for income equality and universal healthcare, both shown in the past to cause economic decline and poor healthcare. This bill is calling for a ludicrous minimum 700 billion dollars to over a trillion dollars. Just for some reference, if a country had 1 trillion dollars, it'd be the 17th richest country in the world. 1 trillion dollars is around 5 percent of America's GDP.

The claims that the GND will help society are ridiculous. In fact, the GND has come up several times since 2003 and Obama actually passed a law similar to it when the housing crisis occurred. This bill would actively push to increase infrastructure, but what it would also do would push the United States not toward Utopia, but toward a slippery slope of Socialist ideals. As I have stated before, Socialism would be the death of the US and would lead to economic collapse similar to those in the Nordic Countries, Venezuela, Cuba, and the USSR. The United States does in fact need to do something to slow or stop climate change, but a vast overhaul that will fail will only cause damage to the economy and make society and the people in it much less well off.