Why Recruitment Really is Fun

Why Recruitment Really is Fun

7
Why Recruitment Really is Fun

RECRUITMENT IS COMING! Oh yes, take one step into Greek Village the first few weeks in August and I promise you’ll walk out chanting 5 different sororities songs. Clapping, stomping, screaming, singing… it’s all happening in Greek Village.

It’s the best time of the year. All of the sororities bring their members back a few weeks before school starts to begin and then....drum roll please… Spirit Week. Everyone dresses up in different costumes to pump up their sisters because “THE NEW GIRLS ARE COMING!” Yes, younger diamond sisters, new phis, they are all coming!

Is spirit week hard work? Yes. You spend long hours on your feet trying to make sure you don’t step on anyones toes and that your arms are straight enough. You have to scream as loud as you can, but still have a smile on your face all while making sure your hair looks good while doing it! I dare anyone to say sorority girls aren’t tough. We work 10+ hours a day to make sure we can all put on the best rush we possibly can!             

Recruitment is a lot of work. You are spending most of your time in your house with all of your sisters practicing your cheers, smiles, and even your speaking abilities. What you don’t know about recruitment though…. We really do love it.             

When our Pi Chi’s are cheering “RECRUITMENT IS FUN” with all of the PNMs… they mean it. Yes, it’s hard. Yes, it’s stressful. And yes, we do lose our voices, and sometimes we do get sick, and sometimes we will complain…. But let me tell you why it’s all worth it.             

After weeks of spending all your time with your sisters, they are your best friends. They are your lifelines, your motivators, your partners in crime, your other halves. They are the same people you get ready with in the morning, and share a blanket with when you stay late at night to prepare for the next round even if you really just want your bed. You even share your food with them (big deal, lets be real).             

During recruitment you remember why you joined your sorority in the first place. It’s easy to get caught up in schoolwork and other aspects of your life, and your sorority can become just another organization you’re involved in. You don’t realize that it’s helped shape exactly who you are. Sharing your stories and memories during recruitment remind you of the exact reasons you joined Greek Life- for a friend, a sister, a study partner, and to help you grow as an individual.             

During recruitment, you will probably also find your little, grand-little, or great grand-little. You will know because you are ready to rip the letters off your back and give them to her. You are excited to see girls come back every round and it's like you are seeing your best friend again after being separated for a few months. After long weeks of hard work, Bid Day is the most rewarding experience you could give a sorority girl. Seeing your new members run towards you wearing your letters is one of the best feelings you could ever imagine. On August 24th the Horseshoe will be full of happy girls, as well as guys waiting to watch.  

Recruitment is coming, so get ready to hear the competitions between houses of who can scream louder and who has the straightest arms. In the end though, we all just want people to find where they belong and welcome them home. After all, recruitment really is fun.