Why Recruitment Is Worth It

Why Recruitment Is Worth It

It's a long process, but the outcome was amazing

9
Why Recruitment Is Worth It

Last year, I was a freshman, scared out of my mind to go through recruitment. I didn't know what to expect, I didn't know whether or not the decision to even go through it was the right one.

You know, some girls are the perfect picture of a "sorority girl," but that's not me. I'm someone that likes to do my own thing, that likes to be independent. (I remember signing up the last day you possibly could.)

But my views were changed about sororities once I went through recruitment. I soon learned that you can be your own person, while still being part of a bigger picture.

The first few rounds are super awkward; it's small talk and you probably won't remember the name of the people you talked to. But there are women you will talk to, and you will remember. Even if you don't end up in that chapter, you will see them on campus and potentially still be friends with them.

I remember the night I got my bid I was so overwhelmed; the amount of emotions I went through was weird. I was so excited and antsy. I remember crying and running to my room to tell my roommate. I was so happy. Then I got to my chapter's house and I saw all the women who rushed me. I was greeted by the person who is now my big. I didn't know anyone besides one person in the entire chapter. A chapter of 120+ women, and I knew one. I was so nervous, but after a few weeks, I felt content with my decision. I now had friends in almost every (big) lecture I was enrolled in.

I've been able to grow intellectually, and have learned more about myself in the past year than I have ever imagined. Although I know it's not only because of being in a chapter, I believe that these women have empowered me to be the best that I can be. I am a much more independent, self-confident and organized person. I was also lucky enough to get two positions within our chapter, and I now have a better understanding for how everything is run, and why we do what we do.

I now had a group of gals that I was excited to see while walking around on campus. I was pleasantly surprised how alike all of our values were, and still are. But we were all so different. We were all women with different aspirations, likes and dislikes, and of course majors.

But most importantly, I've found a group of women who encourage me daily. They constantly help me be the best that I can be. I've found my best friends, and my (almost) twin.

It's crazy to me that I almost missed out on meeting and becoming so close with these crazy, amazing, and inspirational ladies.

The way I look at it, is that no matter what happens, if you get a bid or not, it's a learning experience. You learn about yourself when you go through recruitment. I'm happy to see where I am today, and I'm glad I tried it out.