Why I Married My High School Boyfriend

Why I Married My High School Boyfriend

Marrying Your First Love

98
Why I Married My High School Boyfriend
Jessica and Austin Baeza

On October 23rd, 2015 I did the unimaginable. I got MARRIED! Alright, that was super dramatic, but if you know me, I have been saying for years that I wasn’t sure if I ever wanted to go down that road, and stood strongly on that statement.

Most people glance through their yearbooks and see their high school loves as someone from the past. I get to look at mine every night naked, dreaming about our future, and if I should buy him more pants.

I met my husband when we were just 15-years-old, and never once thought about one day marrying one another. Fondling one another on the beach while the entire school was yards away from us, yes, but marriage, no. (True story by the way. Again, I regret nothing).

Let’s rewind to three years prior to the wedding when I reconnected with my high school boyfriend. Yes, you read that correctly. We hadn’t seen each other in YEARS because he was living in Colorado. But when he moved back home, we decided to go out one night. I swear he drugged me with a weird, magical, elixir that makes you want to get married.

Even in high-school, Austin and I were very close. We did fight a lot, yes, (damn hormones) but when push came to shove, we were best friends. Corny alert! Sorry, but it’s true. It’s totally the same now, except we have full-time jobs, bank accounts, and a shared home.

A few questions that I get a lot are, “What is it like marrying your high-school sweetheart?” or “Do you feel like you’re missing out”? Well, missing out on what? Being catfished because I’m on numerous dating apps where men are lying about their height in more ways than one? I would like to think of that as dodging a bullet. After we originally broke up (for the millionth time), I dated some oddballs, each special in their own way, but I never felt that sort of connection with them. Austin “dated” some other girls too. I use the term dated loosely because no one could ever live up to me. Hey, girl. Bye girl.

Going back to the first question, “What’s it like marrying your HS love?” that’s simple. We have known each other for 14 years now which means we’ve seen one another at our best and at our worst. I’ve witnessed Austin with braces, without braces. I’ve been there for his gnarly ingrown toenail that could have been considered a hate crime. And he’s had me throw up on his lap after drinking too many strawberry beers.

Aside from family and my very few close girlfriends, he’s the only one who knows me. He’s accepted my crazy and that’s something no one else has been able to do. It usually scares people away. Speaking of crazy, our fights have been jazzed up a notch too. Since we know each other so well, we know what makes the other one cringe. I have a better memory so I usually win any and all arguments and walk away like a boss. **Mic drop.

All kidding aside, marrying Austin was probably one of the only good decisions I’ve made thus far. The jokes are endless. We can be ourselves around one another, yet we’re always there during the shitty times. We’re able to tackle life problems head on together and make the most out of any situation. We definitely make one bad-ass team; a force to not be reckoned with. We celebrated 1-year of marriage in October and look forward to much more to come!