Why I Write

Why I Write

An Explanation to Those Who Don’t Know Why I Enjoy Writing

10
Why I Write

White. Fluffy. Mysterious. Fun to play with. And best of all, edible.

What came to mind when you read those words? Snow? Flour? Cocaine? Who knows, that’s up to you to decide!

See that’s exactly why I love writing, there are so many different ways things that authors write can be interpreted by their readers. It makes the readers think, and use their imagination, rather than have the minds of robots, and go through their daily routines and not think outside of the box. If you asked a room full of first graders to come up with a story with very little concrete guidelines, we would have crazy, funny, unimaginable stories. But if we asked a group of Seniors in high school, with the same guidelines, the stories may become more oblique, and uninteresting. According to Hannah Gamble (2013), a group of third graders are better poets than a you or me. The reasoning behind that is that “they don’t know how to do it, and by it meaning the world”. They don’t know how the world works, and they haven’t experienced enough about it to know the truths about it. The imagination of young people is amazing because of this, and I want that imagination and creativity to be a long lasting thing, and not just a phase. But to do this, we have to exercise our creative side more than once.

So that was one reason why I write. Another reason is because it helps me get out how I feel, or what I am thinking. It’s hard sometimes to come up with what I want to say on the spot. So for example, if we were having a conversation, I could never get out everything I wanted to say, because I just don’t know how to say it, or I would forget about it because all of the other things that come up in that conversation. So writing just helps me express my feelings.

Writing is just fun for me. I can say almost whatever I want, how I want it, and people accept what and how I did it. Of course there is going to be criticism, but for the most part, free creative writing has no guidelines, and I love it. I also love that you can use so many different words in what you create. Like stupendous, miraculous, fabulous, astounding, and amazing. All of those words have the near same meaning, it’s just up to you to decide which one to use.

So you don’t have to like writing, or you don’t have to like reading, because I don’t love reading either. But just know that there are so many reasons why some people like doing it, or why anyone does anything. So accept the fact that writing is what I like to do, and I’ll accept what you like to do too.