Why It’s Actually A Blessing That NOLA Is Finally Cooling Off

​Coming from the northeast, it’s actually a blessing in disguise that New Orleans is finally starting to cool down. It's nothing like New York’s frigid weather, but that’s what makes it so great.

9
Alexa Melnick

Coming from the northeast, it’s actually a blessing in disguise that New Orleans is finally starting to cool down. It's nothing like New York’s frigid weather, but that’s what makes it so great. If you’re not entirely convinced, keep reading.

1. Not sweating while walking to classes.

Finally, I don’t have to be worried about arriving to class drenched in sweat. Now, I can try to achieve my remarkable timing of coming from Gibson, all the way to Hillel, in 10 minutes without worrying about what I will look like when I get there. Nevertheless, walks become much nicer when not being beat by the blazing Louisiana sun.

2. Looking better with less effort.

Naturally, the humidity of New Orleans causes many aspects to go out of whack, but something I wasn’t able to manage was the frizz caused by the moisture in the air. As it cools down, there is less moisture in the air for hair to absorb, ensuring less fizziness and much better hair days.

3. All your heavy clothing finally having a use.

Coming from the northeast, jeans, sweaters, sweatshirts, and long sleeved clothes were always a part of my daily wardrobe. Coming to school where it was 90 degrees and up for the first two months of school was a complete shock to say the least. As the weather begins to change, so do your outfits. Bringing in jeans and the occasional sweater will give you more options while getting dressed in the morning. Additionally, you can finally wear sweatpants without feeling completely out of place.

4. Being properly dressed for our freezing classrooms.

Coming into a frigid classroom from the scorching heat outside is definitely a surprise to the body. Cold is probably an understatement—I am talking freezing. Since we all will be dressing for the cooler weather, I will no longer be turned into a human icicle due to wearing shorts in class. Additionally, you will not have to plan for your designated “classroom sweatshirt” to be a part of your daily preparation for class.

Overall, the cool weather is only more of a reason to love New Orleans. Originally, I thought coming to school here would always be bikini weather, but when I wasn’t experiencing fall like the rest of my friends, I started to miss home and the changing seasons. The temperature drop just reiterated why I fell in love with NOLA for a reason I never expected. So whether you enjoy cold weather or not, I think we can all agree that there are some note-worthy reasons to embrace the change.