Why Did I Choose Inclusive Education As My Major?

"A teacher affects eternity; he/she can never tell where their influence stops" -Henry Adams.

14
Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash

Growing up, I have always been surrounded by teachers. My aunt and uncle on my mom's side and practically all of my stepmom's cousins are teachers. I'm used to watching my aunt do her lesson plans and buy things to decorate her classroom for the upcoming school years. But, more importantly, I saw how happy she was because of her job. I saw the joy she got from being around her students. From being so overly exposed to all of this, I grew to love the idea of teaching and I wanted to pursue it for myself.

Why inclusive?

At first, I wanted to be an English teacher if I'm being completely honest. I love reading and writing and I wanted to pursue it. After a year or two, I began to research special education. I fell in love and that's when my mind changed. I knew I wanted to teach Special Education as my job.

In high school, I shadowed a teacher who taught a special education class and I fell even more in love with teaching special education. When looking at schools, the main thing I was looking for was a school with a good special education program and I did!

My overall goal is to make sure that all kids, no matter where they come from or what they may be struggling with, are able to learn and succeed to their highest potential. I want to be a positive change in kids's lives and I hope I can be!