Why I'm Sometimes Embarrassed I Go To A Church Of Christ

The church has a reputation of being nothing but judgmental hypocrites.

155

When you meet someone and the topic of church comes up, they always ask what church you go to. I really hate this question. I hate this question, because sometimes I'm insanely embarrassed to tell people that I go to a Church of Christ. EMBARRASSED! Why should I be embarrassed? Why am I embarrassed to tell people that I go to a Church of Christ? I should be proud! I have grown up in the Church of Christ and through my own studies, I have come to the conclusion that I fully believe in the values and beliefs of the Church of Christ.

I know all of the stereotypes. Church of Christ people believe they are the only ones going to Heaven. Church of Christ people are judgmental hypocrites. You know what's sad? It's true! These stereotypes turn out to be true more times than not, and that is why I am embarrassed to tell people I go to a Church of Christ.

One time, I had a friend that had grown up in a Baptist church coming to church with me on a regular basis. She would come most Sunday mornings, every Sunday night, and every Wednesday night. One Wednesday night, we were in class. There was an older lady in the class that everyone looks up to. To be completely honest, she has never been my favorite person. In the past she had made comments about how the Church of Christ is the only way. I didn't like this because 1) I have a lot of family that attends denominational churches and 2) a CHURCH isn't the way to Heaven, the BIBLE is.

On this particular Wednesday night, we were discussing denominations and what they believe. In the middle of the discussion she decided to put in her two cents. In a room full of people with family members that attend denominations, and with both my friend and another girl from a denominational church in the room, this woman proceeded on a 15 - 20 minute rant on how all of the denominations are an abomination and the members of them are following men not Christ. I can't even begin to explain how offended I was. ME! The girl that grew up in a Church of Christ her entire life and could count on one hand the number of times she had been in a different church. After that night, my friend never stepped foot in my church again. I don't blame her. That was a horrible thing for this so called "Christian woman" and "role model" to say.

This woman demonstrated hatred and prejudice instead of love and acceptance. She didn't even try looking at it from the other person's perspective, and what is sad is that this isn't the only example of hatred. It is okay not to agree with the way everyone else believes, but that doesn't mean that the response to those believes is hate. The response should be love and acceptance. The response should be to discuss the topics with the person and try to see it from their point of view. Everyone has their own perspectives, and it is not any of our places to judge them. Someone believing differently than you do is not a licence to condemn.

I grew up in a church that preaches love and acceptance but, sadly, many times only shows hatred and prejudice. Becuase of this, I am embarrassed of my religion.