Why I Hate The Fake Freckles Trend

Why I Hate The Fake Freckles Trend

On runways, music festivals, or anywhere trendy, fashion icons everywhere are using makeup products to obtain a look of freckles on their face.

9512
Why I Hate The Fake Freckles Trend
Modcloth

When I was a young girl, I remember staring at myself in my bathroom mirror and imagining my face without the scattered brown dots that littered my face and body. I dreamed of having the small imperfections removed from my face and obtaining the smooth porcelain skin that I envied. I looked at my bare-faced friends in awe because they had what I wanted and would never know. For some odd reason, I had made myself believe that my freckles made me ugly.

Now I've come across the recent fashion trend of "fake freckles." Makeup such as eyeliner, eye shadow, or an eyebrow pencil is used to mimic the look of freckles. The person applying the faux freckles can decide whether to scatter them on or just add a few. This trend has become a staple at fashion shows, music festivals, and the celebrity world as well.

I know this may sound dramatic or outrageous, but this bothers me deeply. I was always told "freckles are a little kisses from heaven," but these girls grew up with the flawless faces that I dreamed of. At the end of the day, they can wash them off, but I can't. I have to dread the summer months where my freckles get dark and my skin does not. I have to think of my increased risk of skin cancer because of my fair skin and freckles. I have to remember all the times as young girl that I questioned if I would be prettier or more desirable if my face was clear.

Now that I've grown up, I don't really notice my freckles anymore. Whether this is because of the use of foundation or other makeup products, I'm not sure. I've been told they're "cute" or "pretty" on numerous occasions, but I still am curious as to what my face would look like without the countless freckles. As I scroll through my social media, I notice that I subconsciously use filters that blur or diminish the intensity of my freckles. I prefer pictures of myself where my face looks bright and unblemished rather than covered in freckles. I've come to realize that my freckles are just a part of my face and show my heritage as well. While I know this definitely just is a figment of my insecurities, I felt the need to express my upset and throw out the thoughts that filled my head every time I scrolled through a Tumblr fashion blog. I still feel no need to tell those experimenting with the faux freckles makeup trend to back off or stop, it's your body and your choice what you do or don't do with it. Yet I know I'll always feel a slight sting of jealousy when the makeup washes off and their bare faces are restored.