Why Don't You Click Me?

Why Don't You Click Me?

Gotcha!

25
Why Don't You Click Me?

Hello, it's me: Your friendly neighborhood article. If you are reading this it means you have once again been fooled by click bait. Now that doesn't mean I'm writing to you just for SEO purposes. No, it's a much graver situation than that. You see thousands of articles like me are destroying meaningful, substantial articles every day with your help.

Don't follow? Imagine this scenario. You're on Facebook. Two articles pop up in your news feed. One title is: "Everyday Racism." The other is "These are the Weirdest 20 Cats on the Internet." Which one are you more likely to click? I think we both already know.

As we speak hundreds of thousands of well-written, intelligent, researched, and amazing articles are floating around untouched, unwanted, and frankly, unappreciated in cyberspace. Now I'm not accusing you of doing anything wrong. I'm just an article and certainly don't know much about human minds, but I can imagine it is much easier to look at photos of cats than read about racism practiced in our college systems.

And I imagine writers ought to know better when they put their heart, soul, and intellect into articles that frankly nobody is going to read.

All I'm saying is that you should be thankful I exist. For one, you're wasting a precious lot of time reading this, but it makes you look and feel productive. And when you stop reading me, even though you'll feel like you wasted a lot of time, you'll just go to the next one when it precedes a serious article on Facebook.

Ah, humans are a mystery.

So enjoy avoiding the articles that actually raise questions about the world, share an important experience, or take a different point-of-view.

I'm all you really need.