This Is What The Bible Has To Say About FOMO

God will never let you miss out on the opportunity to come to Him.

755

Everyone's doing something exciting.

How do I know?

It's all in the posts.

Instagram, Facebook, and all forms of social media are sources of news, yes, but they may also incite FOMO or the "fear of missing out."

There are certain times when I would love to be back in Texas with friends or touring in one of those boats that's famous in Italy (you see, if I had been to Italy I'd know what to call those skinny boats).

Let me first explain that my life doesn't lack action. Babysitting my brothers always brings adventure! It's just not the type of "fun" everyone else seems to be experiencing.

And so, the thought of being somewhere else for the day tempted me.

And those are the keywords: "tempted me."

Satan tempts.

And FOMO is another way for him to sneak into my thoughts.

FOMO borders closely along the lines of jealousy, and for what reason does a daughter of the Lord ever have to be jealous?

There is never a reason. Except for the fact that I fall short (and not in my height this time). I will never be able to achieve perfect sanctification. And that's okay with me, as long as I'm constantly striving to love and live in the name of Jesus more and more each day.

In James 4: 2-4, the Bible points out that we "desire and do not have... covet and cannot obtain." And all for what? There is nothing pleasing to God that is a result of being covetous or jealous. The passage further explains, "friendship with the world is enmity with God." I would like to think that I would always choose God over the world, but experiencing FOMO forces me to choose the opposite.

FOMO lures me into comparing my life to others. It holds me back and whispers about the possibilities of what I could be doing. It squashes all feelings of gratitude and spits out the words, "what if I" and "not enough."

This is not a matter of placing blame on another for feeling excluded. No, it's more like I wish I was living in a different time or given a different opportunity.

But what I fail to realize in these instances, is that God has provided me with MORE than enough. I live an entirely blessed life, and I'm not making this judgment through comparison. I know that God loves me more than anyone else can, and even if I couldn't fathom that thought, he sent his Son to die for all sinners like me. Now that's more than enough proof.

In my times of battling FOMO, I must remember that lusting after material riches will only cause despair. Instead, I will focus on the words in Hebrews 13:5-6, "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' So we can confidently say, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?'"

God has continually blessed my life with people and things that He never had to give me. I am embarrassed to admit to these feelings of missing out when He has given me a life full of joy.

Even in times of trial, I will still give thanks for all that God has provided for me, for it is far more than I could ever need. So what place do I have to scroll through social media and feel "less than?"

In writing this, and in reading through God's word, His mercy and grace ring truer than ever before.

It is my prayer that you would dwell on these verses, and meditate on what is preventing you from seeing God's true love for us all.

Maybe nothing is preventing you from seeing God's true love. But then again, maybe you've never realized that you've been looking at His forgiveness through a mere crack in the door, while He is waiting for you to open it.