How Did We Let Trump Happen?
Politics

How Did We Let Trump Happen?

Somehow, we wound up with a racist, immature, inarticulate demagogue bullying his way into the presidential election, and it's shocking the American people let it happen

101
How Did We Let Trump Happen?
The Boston Globe

The raging, authoritarian 70-year-old cheese puff demagogue that is the Republican nominee, Donald Trump, has once again opened his mouth and let the locust fly off into the nation spreading fear and destruction. In the past two weeks, Trump has attacked Muslims, women, babies, veterans, war heroes, Gold Star families (families of fallen war heroes) and he has suggested that Second Amendment supporters should "take care of" Hillary Clinton for him.

The appalling thing is, there seem to be no consequences unless you count Trump's nosedive in the polls. But there have only been verbal condemnations. The media has just repeatedly said, "Trump said something shocking," and then focused more on how everyone else reacted then condemning him.

If any other can candidate had said and done the things Trump has, they would be barred from candidacy. Frankly, if any other candidate had said these things, they wouldn't have stood a chance in the polls. They would have been written off as some wing nut with a lot of ideas that should never see the light of day.

So why did we let Trump happen? It's not like the country is worse off. Economically, we have bounced back from the Great Recession. We are in the steadiest period of job growth since the 90's. Republican Nominee Donald Trump and his compatriots have been spreading slander and lies that the nation is in dismay for the past two years. Since then, we have come apart at the seams, socially. Racial tensions have risen and ISIS has risen to power in the Middle East.

This is indeed a scary time, but Trump has made it even scarier. He created the fear, he fed it and he let it fester in the minds of Americans. His supporters believe that the economy is in shambles (it's not), Islam is a religion of terror and violence (it isn't) and that Obama is a Kenyan-born Muslim who is secretly plotting to destroy this great nation (surprise: he isn't).

If any other candidate had said the things Trump has said, made the same boldfaced lies that Trump has, or threatened our Allies and political leaders the way Trump has, that candidate would be disqualified, disgraced, and written off into the forgotten pages of the history books. So why did we let Trump happen? How did he become such a powerful man?

Fear.

The media fed into the idiocy and the fear mongering, spreading the concern and paranoia so as to increase ratings. Politicians fed into the fear and fear mongering in order to gain political power. Citizens began to worry. They saw this chaos and anarchy and they became afraid. They believe that the nation was falling apart. To those who didn't believe the messages of hate became convinced that this election will put us on the fringe of chaos.

As the idea of a Trump presidency becomes more possible, as he continues playing the game to see where the line actually is for him, it's vital to wake up from the filth induced coma we've been in. Really listen to him tell the Muslim parents of a fallen war hero that they haven't sacrificed as much as he did in his business empire. Listen when he suggests someone assassinate Hillary Clinton for him. Look into his shady business deals, bankruptcies, and how he stabs everyone he works with directly in the back.

This election has been a s**t show. It's been more like neighbors arguing over who had a bigger house than politicians arguing over the future of our nation. We can't be stupid enough to actually consider a giant tea bag that was left in a tanning booth for 70 years as our president. This racist Cheeto is not an answer to any problem that he didn't create out of thin air. America is better than Donald Trump.