Why Dating In This Generation Is So Weird

Since everyone's favorite question at Christmas is, "Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?"

636
Shelby Alldred

Are we together? Are we talking? Are we just friends? Are we FWB? Are you talking to other people? Am I allowed to tell my friends about us? What do you tell people about me?

These are only just a handful of questions that run through our minds when we become the least bit interested in someone.

Being in college is a weird enough time all by itself. We're all like a bunch of chickens running around with our heads cut off.. and add in the fact that someone is probably going to tweet about it later makes it 10x more complicated.

Don't get me wrong, I am on my phone and am always on social media as much as the next millennial. However, we can't fail to admit that this has made dating a little more complicated than it was in the first place.

Are You Just Going To F*** Me Over?

We all think this more times than we'd like to admit. Everyone has been in this situation before, so that leads us to believe it's going to happen over and over again (even though the person you're talking to is probably the sweetest person ever).

So, I'm just going to create problems that weren't there and f*** myself over before you have the chance to.

But then I'll miss you and regret it later.

Do I Even Like You?

Most of the time we get so caught up in what our friends and social media platforms have to say that we forget to actually listen to ourselves for a change. When your friend asks about the person you like, you probably don't say much about the actual person, you pull up their Instagram or Twitter.

Here's an interesting concept; get to know the person.

How Do I Know He/She Even Likes Me?

We all hate to admit it, but let's face it, most of us judge how much someone likes us based on the most ridiculous things. Example: How fast they reply, their twitter favorites, if they've liked any of your Instagram pictures, are they liking other people's pictures, etc.

However, on the flip side, our communication SUCKS. You could just say you were busy, but instead you left us hanging which makes the rest of us overthink everything and just assume that you don't like us anymore.

No matter which side you've been on, they're both overly complicated and they both suck.

What Are We?

This has got to be the most common question that is asked when "talking to" or "dating" someone. It's the one thing we all want to know, but most the time are too afraid to ask. If we finally get the courage to ask, it usually ends up being what we call a "risky text" as we throw our phone into the Atlantic ocean because we're too scared to look at the response.

Not to mention, the most common answer to this question is "I don't know".

As you can see, this leads to a lot of miscommunication to a relationship that hasn't even happened yet.

What In The Hell Am I Supposed To Do?

Given the previous question, most of our answers fall somewhere along the lines of "I don't know".

With all of these questions with such vague answers, it's leads us in this awkward in between spot.

I think I like you, but I'm not really sure what to do, but I'm not sure I want to do anything, but I don't think I want to stop talking to you either.

Yes, it's just as weird and ridiculous as it sounds.

Maybe it's not a generation issue, maybe it just comes with being young and stupid. I'm no expert on the world, but I don't think it's supposed to be this complicated.

If you like someone, tell them. If you're not sure, hang out with them and find out. Don't base it all off of text and social media, because I can promise you I don't say "lol" and use hashtags in real life.

If you're both not sure, say it.

Stop getting mad at their twitter favorites or whose Instagram photo they've liked. Chill out, you're probably not even dating yet.

Get to know someone. No not just what their Facebook tells you. See what makes them laugh, what makes them mad and how they view the world.

And lastly, let someone like you. And let yourself like them. Don't get caught up in the hype of what people or social media tells you it's supposed to look like.

Breathe a little, have some fun, and for the love of God chill out. Something great could come out of it.

Now maybe it's time I take my own advice, after you answer one question for me?

After reading this, what are we?