Why I'm Afraid To Become An Adult

Why I'm Afraid To Become An Adult

I'm not ready yet.

112
Why I'm Afraid To Become An Adult
NBC's Parks and Rec

Right now, I'm sitting in my Intro to marketing class thinking about everything I have to do before I graduate in a year and a half. It's a long list of class requirements, internships, job applications and so forth. You know what's not on the list? Determining a good healthcare provider for when I'm no longer on my parent's insurance. Neither is researching a good credit card company or figuring out how to correctly file my taxes. The problem is they should be. I have little to no clue how to adult and that terrifies me.

As much as I've always wanted to grow up, something about entering my 20's and being faced with less then two years until full blown adulthood makes me want to curl up in the fetal position in my bed with a stuffed animal and an old Disney Channel movie. Maybe that will keep adulthood at bay.

I'm not really ready to live on my own, to pay for a bunch of bills, to work a normal nine to five job. I don't want to worry about insurance and being responsible all the time. I also don't know enough about my own and my family's medical history to make it as an adult, so really I shouldn't be given the position. Here's a few more reasons why adulthood isn't for me.

I like bubbles too much to be an adult. I get hyper if I drink too much coffee. Sometimes I'll have a giggle fit for no reason. I only know how to do three hairstyles. Just looking at heels make my feet hurt. I have a coloring book. I sometimes get entertained by shiny objects. Would you make me an adult? I'm not prepared!

In reality, no one has prepared me for this. Sure I've had a job and been to school, but no where in there do we learn how to be an adult. There should be a class required for college graduation: Adulthood 101. Maybe then I'd feel more prepared.

The truth is, the next few years will prepare me as much I can be prepared, but nothing will get me 100 percent of the way there. That's the terrible, honest truth. I will never be fully ready, no matter how long I push adulthood back. There will just be a point where I have to take a deep breath and take a leap of faith.

I'll have to figure things out for myself and call my parents often. No one ever told us that we had to be an adult alone. So as scary as the real world may be, I'm approaching the time where being afraid is no longer an option. I'll have to face my fear. But until then, Netflix has plenty of throwback movies to bury my fears in nostalgia.