When Your Best Friend Studies Abroad

When Your Best Friend Studies Abroad

The longest semester of your life.

61
When Your Best Friend Studies Abroad
Tumblr

You anticipate that you and your college bestie may separate after graduation, but junior year? This is too early. Torn between being happy for them and being devastated that you have to live without them for an entire semester, you will be on an emotional roller coaster while your friend is on the other side of the world. There is technology to keep you together, but it's not the same. At least it's only for one semester.

The hardest part is when they leave.

You promised yourself you wouldn't cry, but who are you kidding? Your best friend is leaving you for an entire semester.

You see picture of all the fun they're having.

Having fun without you? Making new friends?

You can't help but be a little bit jealous.

You're undoubtedly happy for them, but all of the pictures make you miss them more.

You're just at school, thinking about how much you miss them.

College isn't the same without your best friend by your side.

You remember all the good times you had together.

You constantly remind yourself that your bestie will come back. You may even have a count down.

Your other friends are still here, but it's not the same.

You can't just act like everything is normal.

Thank goodness for telephones.

Cell phones, Skype, and FaceTime are lifesavers, except when the internet in Europe decides to cut out in the middle of your conversation.

But the time difference.

You may have to wake up at 4 a.m. but it's worth it.

How are you supposed to keep them up to date on everything that happens?

It's important for them to know that they started putting vegan chocolate cupcakes in the cafeteria.

You find ways to cope until they come back.

You've got to do what you've got to do.

Then, they finally do come back.

Now you get to here about their cultured experience and catch them up on everything.

It's like nothing ever changed.

You're still best friends, and no distance can change that.