While You Were Sleeping

While You Were Sleeping

...you missed a few things.

11
While You Were Sleeping
Katie Smith

Every single morning, whether you realize it or not, something miraculous happens. Before our sleepy eyes even consider cracking open, a great event has taken place. While all of our dreams are coming to a close and the final moments of slumber begin to tick away, it is happening. The sun is rising.

Now I realize that you probably are already aware of this fact, but how much do you actually spend time thinking about the sunrise? Exactly, not that much. To be honest I'm with you, I really don't either. But perhaps we owe the sun that rises every morning for us a bit more thought.

Even though most of us are asleep when the sun ascends, it is still there every morning. While it may not have a large audience, it still makes sure to put on its best show for those willing to watch. It shows up wearing its most beautiful colors bringing warmth and peace to the world. Believe it or not, the sunrise is not the only beautiful thing that we often don't see.

The person that held open the door for you today, the quick smiles exchanged in the hallway, the brief eye contact, the high fives, the handshakes, the awkward hello's, the dragging and shuffling of feet–there is something that we don't see in all of these things.

Truly, we would be astounded if we saw how much courage went behind some of these small gestures. We often take people at face value without considering what lies behind and within. We look at people without really seeing them and judge them without really knowing them.

Some of the most powerful forces in the world supposedly can't be seen by the human eye. Love, hope, fear, forgiveness, pain: all of these things are not tangible. However, if we become careful observers I believe that the intangible can become tangible and what is hidden can suddenly begin to reveal itself to us.

I am not a mathematician by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know that the little things in life do tend to add up to be something more. All of these sunrises, handshakes, and small gestures may seem insignificant and meaningless, but life is surely much more alive when we make a conscious effort to recognize the power these things posses.

The good news is: We do in fact have the ability to recognize these little things for what they truly are. We don't have to be blind to the little beautiful things all around us. Each day is a new opportunity to watch the sunrise, to get to know someone, to take into account small gestures and to look more closely at life than ever before.

So rise up with the sun and enjoy these tiny miracles. Look and see what people are really doing for you and try to keep your eyes wide open. Don't miss out on anything else, see clearly, live.