When You Are Working As A Millennial in Today's Age

It is getting to the point where I literally have to defend my lifestyle to people who were lucky that they could pay for their college tuition with just what they saved over the summer.

29

Even though I was brought up old-fashioned, I am going to be honest that I love my job and am extremely fortunate, but what I don't understand is that you may be working several jobs, going to school and doing what you can to make your life more fulfilled, there is the previous generations that seem to blame literally everything on my generation, Generation Y. It is getting to the point where I literally have to defend my lifestyle to people who were lucky that they could pay for their college tuition with just what they saved over the summer. Where I had to start work at 13, work full-time in high school and college just to pay HALF of that.

There is always going to be another person to put you down just because you don't have kids, a husband, or you not "working within your means". Yep, because working 50-60 hours a week is not enough. I have loan payments just so I can save money to pay for those loans, as well as my rent, my car repair payment, soon to be 401K and health insurance. It must be nice that you were able to work part-time and still have money left over. Please let me know how that feels because I am extremely envious. I work full-time and two part-time jobs just to make ends meet and STILL isn't enough.

I know many people in my age group that work 7 days a week because taking a day off it not an option for them. At one point, that was not an option for me. My weekends usually consisted of washing dishes, being a cashier, and then coming home to study. Now, I need at least ONE day to clean my house, and pay bills.

So to Generation Y, we are working hard and don't let others tell you different. Just ignore them, eat your Funfetti cupcake and do your best. That is all anyone can ever ask of you.

If you have a day off coming up within the next six months, just try and take a day off. The key word is try.