What's Important?

What's Important?

Nobel Peace Prize winners or professional athletes: Who really deserves more of our adulation?

22
What's Important?

In today's culture, we idolize and look up to people that in reality have no significance in the greatness of our lives. These people being athletes, actors, actresses, etc. They entertain us with their talents, but what are they really doing to make anyones lives better? Or make the world around us better? The majority of us can name or know some significance about the college heisman trophy winner, but how many of us can name the Noble Peace Prize winner for medicine? Or science? Not many of us I bet can do that, but those are the kinds of people who are going to change the world. 

College athletes and professionals are very well known in our modern day community. Years ago. the names that everyone knew were the scientists, the teachers, the entrepreneurs -- those who were shaping the society we live in. We put celebrities on pedestals that in reality they have not earned. The teachers of these college athletes get zero credit for shaping the minds of these men and women. The athletes are celebrated and glorified for what. really? Being able to run a ball down a field? Shoot a ball in a hoop? None of the things athletes do help prosper our society. 

They are not looking for new ways to save lives or shape humanity for the better. These are the things that used to be celebrated. These accomplishments are what need to be remembered. These peoples name are the ones that should be remembered. But you know what name we all know so incredibly well? Kim Kardashian. What has she done to help society, to research new ways to help save lives in the medical field? Nothing, absolutely nothing. Yet I dare you to find someone who doesn't know that name. 

This is a sad direction our generations are going in. We need to get back to what really matters. The people working non-stop to find new and better ways of carrying out tasks. Those who are working with medicine and science to prosper our health as a whole. Not Kim Kardashian just because she has a big butt or a television show. Not Tom Brady just because he can throw a perfect spiral down a  field. These are the people we will remember because it's something our society has shaped us to remember and value. 

I encourage you to look at the people who are making significant changes in our country, in our world. Those risking lives for the greater good. They deserve to be remembered the most because they are the reasons we can get better after being diagnosed with cancer, or come away from a deadly accident with a full recovery. The reason we know how the world works and all the life around us. Remember those who change the world for the better. They are the ones who truly deserve it.