What Will The Future Look Like?

What Will The Future Look Like?

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." - Abraham Lincoln

42
What Will The Future Look Like?
Gavin Glen Johnson

After scanning into a fellow Odyssey creator's nine proposing writing prompts, I started to fascinate myself with #8 of that list: "What will the future look like?" Many works of fiction have played with that subject. Or is it just the rhetorical question you have to follow for any positive change yet to come?

Seriously, how does any millennial remember the big scare of Y2K in 2000? After being seven years old at that time, I may have started to repress memories already when I became so focused on getting through the kindergarten for the second time. School became more of a priority to take more knowledge than action. Fast forward that to 2012, it didn't worry me one bit the "end" of the Mayan calendar. During my senior year of high school, I kept up my positive attitude by singing R.E.M.'s "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" to myself. Why not? If you could read between the song's lyrics on Genius, lead singer Michael Stipe wrote up a rant of everything in politics gone wrong in the late 1980's. It caught my attention enough to connect between politics and art with rants.

Since I've never gotten involved in my high school's student council, I wanted to take part in a brighter future for the college community. Only I brought myself to a bigger responsibility than I was prepared for. I didn't like how college politics are played out. The student senate seemed to have too much of their hopes up for lower tuition rates and campus securities. Don't get me wrong. I'd loved Bernie Sanders in the brighter future, but it didn't work out with the national campaigning. I can't share much about that as I couldn't manage myself enough determination to represent a two-year community college. So I worked smaller with fundraisers and taking down meeting minutes with my fellow human services classmates. I knew I could ensure others of their study habits and career goals.

As a student-turned-psychology-enthusiast, I can't speak for those that "tell the future." I view mentalists and psychics as any other forms of entertainment. In fact, I saw a posted of one psychics with tarot cards dealt out to collect donations at a charity event. Magicians take more advantages of talent in order for them "to make something up of the future." Sure, it takes more of an expert of moths and butterflies to open up their true colors. For most of us, we can hope for that promise of beauty.

Call me a softy if you may, but I came up across a butterfly on my most recent walk to the public library. I have been take more advantage of books over there and my Kindle nowadays, and I'm taking the light out of the most as I see it.