What It Is Like To Really Move Out Of The House

It's exiting but it's also scary as hell.

7
Breakthrough Psychology Program

For those that know me, it may seem like this article sounds a little late. I am a junior in college and go to an out-of-state school. Surely I moved out already, but I realized that this year I am really moving completely out. I have came home every summer for a couple months and always for holidays, but after I move out this year I will not be back home for a long period of time. I really have no desire to move back to my home town so this is really me moving out for good.

Throughout the summer I have thought about this concept "I am moving out for good." The only time I will really be home is for a short amount of time during holidays. I have went through a series of emotions just with this thought. Every year I have been in college I leave thinking "wow I'm really growing up". This year it feels especially real. I am moving into my first apartment, taking upper division classes, applying for jobs, traveled out of the country by myself, and started looking at graduate programs. I am calling the shots, and while it's undeniably exciting it's also scary. I have the most responsibility on me than I ever have. Who wouldn't be nervous?

I have also realized that my life is really starting. I am on my own, with only myself to worry about. Nothing is holding me down and the world is in my hands. It can be scary but I feel so happy and extremely excited to see where the wind takes me. I have felt like I cannot wait to go back to school and I feel more determined than ever.

With all that happiness has also came some sadness. I am very close with my family and it is difficult to see/hear about how I missed a birthday party, wedding, or t-ball game. As I am really moving out I am realizing how much other stuff I am giving up. It is not all rose pedals and rainbows and you have to give up some things. I want to travel, go to great schools, and try new things. I cannot do that if I stay at home. So I give up those little moments for my big moments. I am not regretful for moving away and focusing on myself but that is not to say that it still doesn't suck sometimes.

Lastly, it's hard to really move away from your parents. No matter how much they nag, annoy, and embarrass you, you love them and they love you. I love being independent but sometimes you just need your parents. Don't forget to thank them. Without their help you wouldn't be able to be where you are today.