What It's Like Being An Extroverted Introvert

If you're absolutely not an extrovert and positively not an introvert, then what are you?

151

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Up until this year, I had the hardest time answering this question. I never wanted to be an introvert because I thought introverts had one, maybe two friends, never spoke a word when there were people around, and spent all of their free time in isolation from the rest of the world (with the exception of maybe their one or two friends ONLY if they were feeling extra social). On the other hand, I knew I would be lying to myself if I tried to say I was an extrovert, because let's face it, I’m not the type of girl to strike up a conversation with Suzzy Sunshine about how great the weather has been in line at Target. So, what am I?

My sorority had a woman come in to talk about personality types, and the way she explained it was that if you are exhausted and had a long week, and you “recharge” by going out and being around people, you are an extrovert; however, if you “recharge” by staying in and being alone, you are an introvert. Hello everyone, my name is Paige, and I am an introvert.

Okay, let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. Yes, if we are talking simply about the way we “recharge” I am 100 percent, no-doubt-about-it an introvert, but when it comes down to the “defining factors” of an introvert, I am no where near the perfect textbook definition. So, what am I? I am an self-proclimed extroverted introvert. What is the life of said extroverted introvert like? Here’s the break down:

Friends

As an extroverted introvert, I have a plethora of friends. I have my friends who are always down to watch E! News and bad rom-coms on a Friday night because all week we “literally couldn’t” about pretty much everything. Then, there are my go-to friends when I want to explore the city or grab coffee at my favorite little coffee shop on the lake, and yes, of course there are the friends that, with enough convincing, get me to believe that my matching pajama set and futon will make it one night without me and get me to go out on a Saturday night.

I love each and everyone one of my friends and would not trade one for the other, because although we are not the same, they get a different side of me to come out and shine when I am with them. What can I say? Every Carrie needs her own Miranda, Charlotte, and of course, Samantha (oh, and if there is a "Sex and the City" marathon on, no amount of convincing will get me off my futon and out into society).

Social Situations

Social situations are the introvert’s worst nightmare, but for the extroverted introvert, however, not so much. I do not mind social situations, but I do not love them. Put me in a crowd of people I do not know, and I will look almost as uncomfortable as Taylor Swift on stage when Kanye said she did not deserve her award, but put me around people I know, and I will be Kanye in the previous situation (but less rude, I promise).

School and Work

When it comes to school and work, I keep my eyes on the prize and get done whatever it is that needs to get done, no matter how uncomfortable I am in the process. I do not mind raising my hand in class and speaking up when I feel that it is a good time to do so, but I can promise you that “Class Clown” was never written under my picture in the school year book.

So, what is it like being an extroverted introvert? It is the best of both worlds, the perfect balance, both yin and yang, and salty yet sweet at the same time. Am I exaggerating right now? Well yes, but I am a little biased. To all my extroverted introverts out there: you rock that pajama set your mom sewed you for Christmas, but remember to take those super cute wedge booties you got on sale out on the town every once in a while, too.