What It's Like Moving From A Suburban Home To An Apartment Complex

It's a whole new world.

10

As someone who has recently downsized from living in a country home with a few acres of land to an all-inclusive apartment building I have definitely noticed some major changes in my life. After finishing the never-ending process of moving into my new home I found that I still had a large amount of adjusting to do. The idea of an apartment-style life was completely and totally foreign to me and I have recently found myself confused and amazed over the simplest of things. Here are some of the strangest things that I've adjusted to since moving from a house to an apartment complex.

1. Learning to navigate the building

The first few days in my new apartment I spent the majority of my time trying to find out where the hell my apartment actually was. I felt lost about 90 percent of the time and guessed at every single turn until I finally reached my door. In my free time I would wander around the winding hallways so I could figure out all the possible ways to find my way back. I'm still finding new ways to do this and have no clue how this is possible.

2. Living right next to my neighbors

I miss being able to blast music and sing like no one is listening because now there are actually plenty of people around. It's definitely weird being able to take two steps and be at your neighbor's doorstep, especially since I'm used to walking ten minutes to go visit my neighbors. However, for social reasons it is really nice being able to be so close to one another and yes, I do mean the whole stereotypical "bake a cake for your new neighbors" thing.

3. Having to follow quiet hours

Being a college student I'm used to having to stop yelling after a certain time but it was something I never had to worry about during break. That was nice while it lasted.

4. Walking my dog

I can no longer just open the back door and let my dog out when he wakes me up a two in the morning. I have to put shoes on, grab his leash and my keys and sprint down four flights of stairs hoping he doesn't poop and pee everywhere before we get outside. How I miss being able to just let him outside within the confines of the invisible fence, but I mean hey, at least I get a lot more quality time with him, especially as he stares at me while I pick up his poop with a designated poopy pouch.

5. Not having to pay for a gym membership

Best thing ever. Thanks, apartment complex, for saving me so much money.

6. Having no furniture

Patiently waiting for your new furniture means eating on the floor and sleeping on a blow-up mattress. These next four to eight weeks cannot go by any faster. I need my bed, couch and chairs ASAP.

7. Using a mail room and not a mailbox

I do not miss having to run across the highway and almost get hit by a car just to get a giant pile of junk mail.

8. Parking in a parking garage

So much for flying into my driveway and parking wherever I want. Hey, at least I don't have to worry about not being able to open the garage door when the power goes out.

9. Living without wifi

I basically live in the residents' lounge with its complimentary wifi because it's the only place I've been able to go online, seeing as my wifi company keeps on forgetting to come and install the modem. I would ask my neighbors if I could use theirs but feel like I would look as crazed as Loki does above.

10. Not having to do yard work

So wait, when I come home from work I can just relax and not worry about mowing the lawn or picking weeds?