What It Is Really Like Growing Up With A Big Sister

​Growing up with a big sister is like going through hell, but in the end I wouldn't have it any other way.

112
Amy Walter

Growing up with a big sister is like going through hell, but in the end I wouldn't have it any other way. My older sister has definitely brought some stress in my life yet she has also taught me a lot of things.

Here are a few things that come with having a big sister:

1. She will make you do things you don’t want to do.

Whether it be through force or persuasion, she will succeed in making you do things you do not want to do. I remember when I was younger, my big sister would constantly make me do dances or cheerleading stunts with her, despite my pleas for freedom. I would cry and cry for her to not make me practice a stunt with her but after a lot of screaming and scratching I would follow her directions through silent tears. When I got older this turned into her forcing me to try out for the high-school cheerleading team and, despite all of my efforts to not join, she won and I was on the team. Today, I am grateful for all the things she made me do because all of them helped me succeed in life, including winning the cheerleading state championship. Her persistence made me get out of my comfort zone and try new things, which I now can do on my own.

2. World War 3 Can Break out any second.

Don’t let laughs in the backyard fool you into thinking that today will be fight-free. Tempers can flare up in seconds and those laughs will turn into screeches at each other. One cross look or wrong word will transform loving sisters into malevolent enemies chasing each other with a plastic baseball bat, screeching like a banshee. This has taught me to always be ready for a fight because you never know when the claws will come out. It has also trained me in self-defense, so watch out pick-pocketers: I’ve been fighting my sister since I could walk.

3. You can complain about her all day long, but the second someone else says something bad about her, you will come to defend her.

I cannot even count the number of times I have complained about my big sister; it has to be in the millions. I complain about everything under the sun about her, from her stealing my makeup to when she locked me in the basement for a day 10 years ago. Yet, the moment someone else says anything bad about her, I will take vengeance. It is perfectly OK for me to grumble on about my annoying older sister, but if someone else dares to chime in against her side I will take her side immediately.

4. Her opinion matters way too much.

Her words can make or break you. If she gives you a note of confidence, you feel like you can and will accomplish anything. You can live off of that “I believe in you” for weeks. You go to her when you need someone to believe in you, but sometimes that isn’t what always happens. She can be in a bad mood or just not really paying attention to what she is saying so when she says dubiously, “You think you can do that?” it hits you hard. It makes you rethink every single thought you had before and puts a sickening feeling of doubt in the pit of your stomach. Her opinion of you can build you up or tear you down so far that you’ll never be able to climb out. Either way, you will always ask for her opinion about anything and everything because you know she'll give you the honest answer.

5. You will always look up to her.

Despite all of our battles, I will always look up to my big sister. I have never met someone as dedicated, hard-working, or as big of a pain-in-the ass as her, and I most likely never will. My big sister’s own perseverance has given me strength to keep going, her character has rubbed off on me, and her voice has spoken for me when I couldn’t. She is the woman I aspire to be like and I am proud of every accomplishment she has achieved. I was proud of her when she had her first dance recital and I was proud of her when she got into pharmacy school. There is not a moment that I don't look at her and think, “If I’m only half of the woman she is, I will be alright.” She has left me big shoes to fill and I can only hope that I can fill them.