How to be a Beauty Influencer

#SephoraSquad: How YOU Can Possibly Become The Next Big Beauty Influencer

Sephora's new beauty-influencer program is going to have you beaming as much as your highlighter.

134
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-facing-mirror-applying-eyeshadow-1910051/

These days, it's highly unlikely that you'd scroll through Instagram without finding a sponsored post with #ad in the caption. That's because, in our technologically driven day and age, social media influencers are the most prominent marketers for almost any product. Everyday people like you and I can get paid thousands of dollars for posting a photo with vitamins that aid with hair growth.

The Kardashian-Jenner clan are among the more popular influencers when it comes to hair vitamins.Instagram

While there are normal people who promote teeth whitening kits and shaving cream on your social media feeds, there are also celebrity-like figures who walk red carpets and receive PR packages from high-end luxury brands. Among the most famous social media influencers are—you guessed it—makeup artists. Beauty "gurus" such as Patrick Starr, Jaclyn Hill, and Desi Perkins went from working at their local M.A.C counter to being incredibly wealthy and popular YouTube stars. Because of their diligence, consistency and dedicated social media following, they have been offered collaborations with big name brands like M.A.C, Morphe, and Q, ay Australia.

Beauty phenomenon and Orlando native Patrick Starrr went from working at the Florida Mall M.A.C counter to posing on the red carpet at the 2018 American Music Awards.Kevork Djansezian

Making thousands, even millions, of dollars on social media and going on trips to Turks and Caicos with all expenses paid by popular beauty brands sounds like the life. Average people fawn over the lives of these influencers and hope that one day, they can experience the benefits, too.

media1.giphy.com

Well today, anyone can become a beauty influencer thanks to Sephora. The multi-million dollar company is at the forefront of the beauty industry, and they have just opened up a new influencer program that allows anyone (above the age of 18 in the U.S. and Canada) to apply. While the main appeal of a social media marketer is their large following, the #SephoraSquad is accepting applications from anyone, regardless of follower count for the first time ever. Why? According to a statement on the official Sephora Squad website, the company values unique storytellers.

"We celebrate the most authentic and inspiring voices in the digital beauty space. We value unique, unfiltered, sorry-not-sorry storytellers, no matter the number of followers they have. That's why the program offers long-term partnerships—a 2019 paid contract with Sephora—to those who share their beauty truths."

How do I apply?

You're probably thinking "No minimum follower count required? Well, sign me up! How do I apply?" The application process is fairly simple. You're required to link your Instagram account and answer a few short-essay style questions about how makeup and the beauty industry have impacted your life. After all, Sephora is looking for fresh and unique voices that want to make a difference in the beauty community.

After you complete your application, Sephora encourages you to receive testimonials to strengthen your eligibility. The site provides a personalized link and Instagram story layouts to get the word out. They want to see how others perceive you and your creativity and how you impact your community.

How do finalists get chosen?

A panel of members from Sephora's merchant and marketing teams along with current #SephoraSquad influencers will review all applications, testimonials, and content. For now, they are kept anonymous.

What happens if I make it as a finalist?

Finalists for the 2019 #SephoraSquad will receive a paid one-year contract with the company as a social media influencer. The site also claims to connect #SephoraSquad influencers with products, resources, networks of brands, and industry experts to "help them reach their next level." Depending on the finalist, perks will vary and be customized.

When is the deadline to apply?

Mark your calendars! Applications for the 2019 #SephoraSquad close on Wednesday, March 6 at 11:59 p.m. The final 2019 #SephoraSquad will be selected and announced by Friday, March 29. If you've always dreamed of being a beauty influencer and using your voice to make a difference, now's your chance! Apply today.