Childhood Trauma And A Handful Of ACEs

Childhood Trauma And A Handful Of ACEs

My ACE score is too high.

936
Childhood Trauma And A Handful Of ACEs
Artem Mizyuk

My ACE score is an 8.

Some of you reading this may not know what that means, and that's OK. I'm happy to explain what an "ACE" (Adverse Childhood Experiences) score means. First, let's talk about what an ACE is.

According to Acestoohigh.com, ACEs are "adverse childhood experiences that harm children’s developing brains so profoundly that the effects show up decades later; they cause much of chronic disease, most mental illness, and are at the root of most violence."

If you experienced or witnessed any traumatizing events as a child such as physical, emotional and/or sexual abuse, poverty, substance abuse or domestic violence, you likely have a high ACE score. Earlier I mentioned my ACE score is an 8, which is a high score.

Growing up, I went through many adverse childhood experiences, including witnessing domestic violence, experiencing emotional and physical abuse, both parents struggling with substance abuse, growing up in poverty, divorce, and foster care.

As a result of these adverse childhood experiences, I struggle with mental health. When I was a teenager, doctors and psychiatrists diagnosed me with major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). I have been on numerous antidepressants, benzodiazepines and more. I've struggled to maintain friendships, relationships, hold down a job for a long period of time or even leave the house at points in my life. I almost dropped out of high school because of low attendance; I was severely depressed and ashamed of myself and my life.

I've never felt "normal" or comfortable in my own skin. My mentally ill father who also had an addiction to alcohol and hard drugs, frequently told me I was ugly, worthless, stupid and called me names I am not comfortable writing in this column.

According to the CDC, adverse childhood experiences have been linked to risky health behaviors, chronic health conditions, low-life potential and even early death. The higher the ACE score, the higher the chances are for a decrease in an individual's quality of life.

The CDC-Kaiser ACE Study features the ACE pyramid, which visually identifies the correlation between ACEs and risk factors for poor health and early death:

As someone with a high ACE score, I am fortunate enough that I got the help and support I needed at a critical time point in my life. My quality of life increased as I received more help and support late in my adolescence and into early adulthood.

While I received help and continue to seek help as an adult, I am frequently reminded by my ACEs in my daily life. My self-esteem is low, I am depressed and unmotivated more often than I'd like to admit. I am never fully certain or sure of myself.

Just to highlight of major of an impact ACEs have on people, here is a list of conditions that a person's risk for increases when they have a high ACE score:

• Alcoholism and alcohol abuse
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
  • Depression
  • Fetal death
  • Health-related quality of life
  • Illicit drug use
  • Ischemic heart disease
  • Liver disease
  • Poor work performance
  • Financial stress
  • Risk for intimate partner violence
  • Multiple sexual partners
  • Sexually transmitted diseases
  • Smoking
  • Suicide attempts
  • Unintended pregnancies
  • Early initiation of smoking
  • Early initiation of sexual activity
  • Adolescent pregnancy
  • Risk for sexual violence
  • Poor academic achievement

These findings are alarming. This is a good reminder to not judge people who have a substance abuse disorder, mental illness, poor health, smoke or struggle at work. It is likely they have a high ACE score and have experienced childhood trauma. As a society, we need to do more to prevent ACEs by providing help and support for parents, educating our community and offering services and resources for children and families in difficult situations at home.

It's clear that we need to do better in helping people with high ACEs and put supports in place to prevent high ACE scores for children.

If you have your own ACEs and would like to know your ACE score, you can take a quiz through NPR to find out here.