What Dog Food Ingredients Are Beneficial for Dogs?

Dog owners have many different options when shopping for dog food. The main difference between each brand is the ingredients. Some dog foods have a plethora of ingredients, most of which are hard to pronounce. Other dog foods have very few ingredients that you might recognize.

33

Dog owners have many different options when shopping for dog food. The main difference between each brand is the ingredients. Some dog foods have a plethora of ingredients, most of which are hard to pronounce. Other dog foods have very few ingredients that you might recognize. However, how can you tell what food is the best for your dog's health? Oils, meat, carbohydrates, fruit, fiber, and vitamins are all essential nutrients for your dog.

Oils

Although not all oils are good, certain oils are beneficial to your dog's health. Specifically, these are oils that are beneficial to the heart. These oils can help increase the health of your dog's coat, reduce inflammation, and improve kidney function. Fish oil, sunflower oil, and flaxseed oil are all excellent choices. Another oil that is gaining popularity is CBD oil. CBD oil for dogs is made to help with digestive health, demeanor, and even coat health. It can also help alleviate chronic and acute pain in dogs. If your dog experiences any type of pain, it would be beneficial to consider CBD as an alternative treatment.

Meat

Dogs are carnivores. They need meat. Lean meat should be at least 30 percent of a dog's diet. However, dogs need more than just lean meat. In addition to lean meat, dogs should be eating organ meat. Organs like the heart, liver, and kidneys are full of protein and beneficial vitamins. When looking at dog food, be sure to look for those specific organs, as other organ meats don't have as many health benefits.

Carbohydrates

While dogs do need meat, they also need plenty of carbohydrates. You can find these most commonly in vegetables. Sweet potatoes and carrots are full of vitamins, fiber, and carbohydrates. Pumpkin and other squashes are also excellent choices. Dogs can eat them cooked or raw. However, when cooking the vegetables don't cook them with any other ingredients, like butter. Other good choices of carbohydrates are foods like rice or oatmeal. Rice in particular is a popular choice that many dogs seem to enjoy. Just be sure to prepare any rice with water or unsalted, unseasoned broth.

Fruit

Another healthy ingredient in dog food is fruit. Surprising to many people, fruit is very beneficial for dogs. Antioxidant-rich fruits are the way to go. Blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are a favorite for many dogs. Fruit is also great if your dog has a specific vitamin or nutrient that he or she is lacking. Another benefit of fruit is that it can make a great treat. Since fruit is high in natural sugars, it can be used for a natural dog treat. Frozen or fresh watermelon is a favorite for many dogs.

Fiber

Fiber is important for dogs in the same way it is important for humans. Fiber helps to keep your dog's digestive tract healthy and working. If your dog is lacking in fiber he or she will become constipated. To prevent that, look for soluble and insoluble fibers in your dog's food. Remember that fiber is found in many vegetables and some fruits too. Root vegetables, rice, and oatmeal all have a lot of fiber and are good for dogs.

Vitamins

Vitamins A, B, D, E, and K are all essential for dogs. Choline is another important vitamin for dogs. The good news is that these vitamins can be found in vegetables, fruit, and meat. Most dog foods also contain extra vitamins to ensure your dog is getting enough. If you are concerned that your dog isn't getting enough vitamins in his or her food, contact your vet. A veterinarian can run tests and recommend supplements for your dog to take.

Knowing what is in your dog's food is important. Your dog relies on you for his or her nutrients and overall health. Be sure you check the ingredients in your dog's food before feeding. Only you can ensure your dog is getting all of the nutrients he or she requires.