To The College Students Who Don't Miss Home, It's Not Weird

Sometimes, when I stop and think about all these things I wonder, "why should I ever leave?"

139

Is it weird not to miss home? Maybe it is not, but somehow Castiglion Fiorentino already feels like home to me.

I have all I need here. Friends that support me, teachers that mentor me, and all of the other basic needs. Every time I go out for a walk, run, or a drink, people that I know will wave at me with a big smile in their face. The little kids with whom I play soccer look up to me and always want to be around me. The people that work at my favorite restaurants and establishments always welcome me and seem happy to see me come again. The people at the hotel always sacrifice some of their work-time to talk to me and ask me about my day. Heck, they even teach me new words in Italian and give me life advice when I ask for it. Here, I feel like I belong.

I feel truly happy. Sometimes, when I stop and think about all these things I wonder, "why should I ever leave?". Here I've learned so much... I've made so many valuable friendships, lived numerous unforgettable experiences, and done so many new amazing things. The best part is that I do not have to worry about a single thing other than maybe taking better care of my green card and turning my school stuff in.

Do I deserve to be this lucky? I guess only God knows the answer to that question. All I can do is keep enjoying the experience while it lasts and thank Him for all He has allowed me to do. Even though I feel like I'm in paradise, sometimes I do wish I could share with my family and friends all the adventures I've lived.

The truth is though that I've just been so busy doing other stuff that I don't even have time to think about that for too long.

Well, that and I also do not want to be an asshole and show off to everybody that I am having a blast in Italy while they are stressed doing other stuff.

I just really hope that someday I can come back and show my kids or whoever I come back with that this was the place (Castiglion Fiorentino) where I've had the fortune to live some of the very best days of my life. To all of the people that have contributed to my experience: Thank you for allowing me to not miss my home.

Sincerely,

Emilio.