Stop Saying You're Not A Feminist. We Get It

You're over feminism. I'm over these articles.

59
Nicole Adams

I've already spoken on the topic of feminism before on this platform, but this is getting out of hand and I need to speak my piece.

You're not a modern-day feminist — we get it.

But the problem is these articles are basing their logic off of extremists on the other end of the spectrum. They are not an accurate representation of the ideals of girl power. These writers are forming a conclusion from a small percentage of women. Majority of feminists would agree that putting men down is not on their agenda — it's about equality for everyone.

That, and considering the fact that all of the authors are white speaks volumes. I shouldn't bring race into this but it is a factor that can't be ignored.

As a white women, you have luxuries that people of color cannot afford. You're in a position where you cannot see the total extent of sexism happening in today's society because you are not in the direct line of fire. I'm not dismissing any struggles because they are all valid, but I am simply stating that the challenges non-white women face are far greater.

You're not discriminated against for the uniqueness of your name. In the workplace, both Northwestern and Harvard concluded that white applicants receive 36% more callbacks than equally qualified African Americans and 24% more callbacks than Latinos.

Think about it: between two adequate candidates, would you pick Anna Smith or Jailene Matrecito?

You don't face prejudice for the way you wear your natural hair. When Becky with the Good Hair wears her straight hair, it's acceptable, but someone's natural kinky curls can be deemed unprofessional.

You aren't criminalized for the color of your skin. You haven't faced racism because you've never been on the receiving end.

Sure, it's the 21st century, but why shouldn't we see color? Instead, we should be teaching people to identify it, tolerate it and respect it. The least you could do with your privilege is use it to help others who can't afford to do the same.

And I get that beliefs are individually held. You think what you want to think and that is that. But who are you trying to convince? You might be over feminism but, frankly, I'm over being bombarded everyday with articles on this platform proclaiming that very thought.

I'm not sure if simply voicing your opinion for the sake of controversy is the best way to use your platform. The fact that we see so many articles like this on a daily basis means writers are hoping for a reaction because the controversial topic tends to garner a lot of attention.

Build your audience towards love. These articles are not only attacking feminists who have to face stereotypes on a daily basis, but you're also tearing other women.

It's not cool.