Ways To Handle Stress

Everyone has stress, and everyone copes with it to some degree. The stress that affects you now will still only affect you now... right? Well, not exactly.

Handling stress is like a soda spill on your carpet: the problem could be better or worse depending on what was spilled, how quickly you act about it, and if you chose the right remedies. Sometimes you have a spill and say you'll just clean it up later, but that stain will still be right where you left it, forever messing with the nature of the carpet.

There are numerous ways to handle your stress, and the answer is different for everybody. Personally, I write, play the guitar, or find a trustworthy friend to confide in. I don't handle my stress perfectly, but I have found ways to cope. What everyone has in common, no matter what level of stress you have, is if you don't handle it well (or at all), you'll face the consequences.

To name just a few problems, stress is linked to depression, anxiety, sleep deprivation, weaker immune systems, heart problems, blood pressure problems, migraines, and asthma. Ignoring your stress now doesn't just affect current you, but it also sets up risks for future you.

My point here is not to scare you — if anything, that would amplify your stress — but rather to send a wake-up call. It's easy to forget the impact stress can cause in the long run, and I'm sending my wishes for everyone to remember to keep healthy.

Mental health is so immensely important. Just because it's not as obvious as spilling some Dr. Pepper on your white carpet, that doesn't mean it's not in need of a remedy.