5 Ways To Make The Most Of Freshman Year

I know there will be nights where you just want to curl up in bed and watch "Grey's" until you pass out, and that is okay, but make sure you say "yes" often.

5
www.wikipedia.com

Between classes, exploring new places, and those inevitable calls home to mom and dad, it's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day routine of college life during your freshman year. But if you take a second look, you'll realize that there are so many incredible ways to grow, network and create memories right on campus. From orientation all the way to graduation, your college or university is continuously offering ways for you to get involved. Here are five ways to get the most out of freshman year (I'm talking to you too, introverts):

1. Attend your school's Club and Activities Fair.

This one might seem like a no-brainer, but trust me, you'd be surprised at how many students don't join a single club or organization freshman year. With no pressure to talk to any of the booths, or to commit to a club, these fairs are the easiest way of finding groups of people that share your passions. Joining at least one club or organization can create unbreakable bonds with your peers and advisers. Most schools offer activities ranging from dance and A Capella groups to religious retreats and bible studies, and literally everything in-between. And while lots of clubs are free, don't ignore the ones that require dues. If $40 a year will enable you to go adventure, meet new people, and grow as a person, spend it. You absolutely will not regret joining a club, but you might regret it if you don't.

2. Get a job on campus.

Yes. You heard me. Being a student employee, whether it be office work or working in the dining hall, is one of the best ways to improve your chances of getting offered opportunities through your school (not to mention, it will buff up your resume really nicely). Extra scholarships and free meals are just some of possible perks when you work on campus. Applying is easy, and often times the employer will willingly work around your class schedule.

"Yeah, but I don't want to waste freshman year being stuck at work."

Look into work study programs. It comes with many financial aid packages and is given as a grant. Real paychecks, real work, but with less hours so you can enjoy your new found freedom.

3. Have an open-door policy.

Tried and true, open-door policies can work wonders, especially if you are an introvert. If you ignore everything else I tell you, at least follow this rule. Just by keeping your door propped open when you are in your dorm room, you'll increase your chances of meeting fellow freshies! They're just as nervous as you are, but creating an atmosphere that is inviting will draw them in. You don't always have to go out of your way to seek new friends out if you're nervous- just put on some good music (but not too loud, the RAs will call you out on it), open your door, and see who wanders in.

4. Say "yes."

Say "yes" to going to dinner with the girls from room 111. Say "yes" to attending the job fair in the spring. Say "yes" to building a fort in the common room at three in the morning. Don't turn down opportunities to make memories, especially freshman year. I know there will be nights where you just want to curl up in bed and watch "Grey's" until you pass out, and that is okay, but make sure you say "yes" often.

5. Say "no."

I know you're thinking, "but you literally just told me to say 'yes'," and I did. But it is also important to know when to turn down offers that won't benefit you. Cutting class on the day of your math final review is probably not the most beneficial thing you can do. Attending a fraternity party instead of writing your English paper, also not the best idea. Despite all of the opportunities and freedoms you are given in college, you are still paying thousands of dollars to receive an education. So say "yes," but know when to say "no."