Finding Your Dream Job

No Matter How Many Rejections May Come, You'll Find Your Dream Job

Good things come to those who hustle!

12

I have always compared myself to others, it's a quality about myself that I genuinely cannot stand. I compare my looks, my work ethic, the leadership roles I take on, anything really. Don't even ask how much time and effort I put into my Instagram feed to make it look somewhat decent compared to other influencers who post perfect pictures that flow so naturally. I guess this makes me some sort of a perfectionist, or maybe just self-conscious.

The fear of never being good enough consistently rang in my head from a young age. Once I began the internship application process, I quickly learned how discouraging this entire process was going to be as soon as I received my first rejection email that I "did not have the qualities this organization was looking for". Kinda shitty, right? I thought I had pretty great qualities if I say so myself. Not to brag, but these organizations did not see what I dealt with on a day to day basis in my campus involvement.

I knew at that moment that I need to completely grind the upcoming semester, which began my junior year. I took on multiple leadership positions in more than one organization, an internship, continued being a content creator, on top of being a full-time student, maintaining a social life and my long distance relationship. Talk about stress, am I right? I consistently compared my life to the movie, "I Don't Know How She Does It", because day after day, I genuinely do not know how I've been managing it all. Nonetheless, I continued to do everything I could in order to one day live out my Carrie Bradshaw lifestyle in NYC getting a job that I love.

I knew exactly what I wanted in an internship. At first, I wanted it to revolve around creating editorial content for a magazine, so I went crazy applying to every job I could possibly find. I consistently applied for jobs in New York City (which is my DREAM), but no job has gotten back to me. I tried finding positions in PR, social media management, and even marketing. With all my learning experience through the positions I have been holding on campus, I could not imagine why I was not getting the positive responses I had hoped for.

Time and time again, I put myself to the test and continued to apply to a bunch of different jobs. I continued to shine as a leader, a friend, and as an applicant whether in the classroom, or through my applications. Although discouraging, I avoided comparing myself to other students in my field, or people with the same interests as me.

Eventually, that one interview finally came, following by a job offer that left me speechless.

I cried on and on and accepted the position immediately. It felt like at that moment, after months of applying and editing my resume, my hard work and dedication finally paid off! I have never been more proud of myself in that exact moment, and it is something I will continue to strive for again and again in my future. I am proud to say I will be interning this summer in New York City as a social media and marketing intern. I could not be more excited about this opportunity, and am eager to learn more and apply all of the knowledge I have gained through my classes and leadership positions to a real job.

For those who are in the midst of their application process, things will work out the way they are supposed to. Good things come to those who hustle, and that is a proven fact. Keep grinding in classes, apply yourself daily, have confidence and display your fullest potential whether in the classroom or an interview. You are beyond capable of success, and know that all the hard work you put into this process will eventually pay off! Do not get discouraged, and never compare yourself to others. It is easier said than done, but we go at our own own pace, and God has a plan for us all to succeed in our futures.

Keep Hustling, good things are coming your way!