Wait, What Do You Mean Freshman Year Is Almost Over?

Eight months ago I was moving in on my first day, and now it’s almost May.

207
Mekenna Passner

When I moved into college, I had no idea what was going to happen. Being an only child and never having gone to a summer camp that lasted more than a week, I really was unsure of how I would feel being away from home. Luckily, college turned out to be something you just have to get used to and it happens rather quickly.

It took a little bit to get used to the fact that there aren’t any parents here or any responsible adults other than professors and advisors, but knowing that my parents or my Nana are just one phone call away has become extremely comforting.

College is a lot of feeling unsure about things, but the key is to just go for it and know that everything will work itself out just fine. Find something that you’re passionate about, like UDance for example, and do everything that you can with that. When I got to school in the fall, I wanted to do everything, which is of course impossible. So you have to narrow things down and figure out what’s the best fit for you, which is essentially what I ended up doing.

First semester for me was all about figuring out how to handle college. It isn’t the easiest thing to just pack up and leave your hometown to start somewhere new at a huge school where you don’t know anyone at all. You’ll meet people who are nice and people who aren’t so nice and people who are just okay. All of that is just fine because you will find your people some way some how.

Sure, living in a dorm isn’t exactly the most ideal situation, but you can decorate it to become your own. Maybe you won’t get along with your roommate, it’s not the end of the world. The year will fly by and you can get a better roommate who you like next year. First semester is the hardest step in the entire college process, but once you hit winter break you know that you will be golden.

After our super long winter break, we came back for second semester which is when I made one of the best decisions of my life. I decided to rush, which is something that I had no idea that I wanted to do until I got to school. Finding my home in Alpha Epsilon Phi has truly made my campus feel smaller and like I truly belong. With Alpha Epsilon Phi has come a ‘pham’ who I truly love and adore with my entire heart and I cannot imagine Delaware without the sorority or them.

Once second semester hit, it was like every day turned an entire month on the calendar. Here it is, already April of my freshman year, and it feels like I just moved in a few months ago. I don’t really know how it happened, but I think I grew up in the 8 months that I’ve been here. For some reason, I learned how to adapt and figure things out for myself which is something that I’m really proud of myself for. I didn’t know what to expect out of my first year, but I’m so happy with how far I’ve come since move-in day. I’ve found my people and I hope that everyone finds theirs too.