Gen Z Humor: Started By Vine?

Gen Z Humor: Started By Vine?

Our favorite deceased app, Vine

69
Gen Z Humor: Started By Vine?

Why do we as a generation laugh at the stupidest things? I was watching a TikTok the other day and I saw a video that said, "If you laugh at this, your humor is messed up". It was literally a picture of a hamburger with a bite out of it, but I couldn't stop laughing for a solid five minutes and my roommate was freaked out.

For those of you wondering, don't fret, I have a theory about why our humor is so messed up, and I think it has a lot to do with growing up with Vine. We all remember Vine, our good ol' green app that we downloaded onto our iPhone 5s without parental permission. (If you're too young to remember Vine, please go on YouTube and look up some compilations, I don't have a favorite since they're all too good.)

Honestly, Vine had some of the dumbest content, but pretty much every fellow middle schooler thought that everything was hilarious. Even if it wasn't funny to begin with, it suddenly became funny when everyone else was quoting stuff like "Look at all those chickens" or "Road work ahead? Uh yea, I sure hope it does".

Because middle school was the years where everyone was awkward and uncomfortable with themselves, everyone just started quoting Vines to be cool, and honestly, it kinda stuck. At my middle school especially, the establishment of Vine became almost sort of a cultural reset, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now, since Vine sadly got taken off of every app store that I can think of, we still (as a generation) have kept the same sense of humor. Now, since we don't have new content to quote from Vine, I've started to quote TikTok sounds. Who knows, maybe TikTok will be the next Vine?