I Was Afraid That I’d Never End Up Using My Degree, But I'm Doing What I Love

Maybe I'm not doing big, fancy internships with Amazon or Microsoft (yet), but that's OK.

234

At some point, I really thought that. I took a look at all of my fellow classmates, and I realized something: I'm not doing nearly as much as them.

I watched as they all get amazing internships, opportunities, and all actively participate in social events. And for a while, I was stuck. Last year, I thought about what I wanted to do when I graduated. After doing a mock business presentation for a class, I discovered that I'd be interested in going down the route of working for a retailer in their marketing department. I had a knack for great business ideas and I wanted to use it to my advantage.

So, here I am. I'm currently a keyholder for a successful, trendy clothing company and working towards moving up. At first, I was worried I wouldn't use my soon-to-be communication degree. But, at the end of the day, that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm using the skills I learned in my everyday classes in order to help run a business.

I'm also writing for Odyssey! And I love it. It's one of the few ways I express myself on a weekly basis. I've met some great people through it, and I've grown so much as a writer and a creator in the span of months.

So, yeah. Maybe I'm not doing big, fancy internships with Amazon or Microsoft (yet), but at least I'm doing what I love. And I refuse to do anything I don't want to do or don't do with my whole heart.

Plus, I'm only 20 (21 when I get my degree). I have years upon years to develop myself and find a stable career. I'm blessed to even have a full-time job before and after graduating.