The Unmatched Power Of The Throwback

The Unmatched Power Of The Throwback

10
The Unmatched Power Of The Throwback

After being to your fair share of college parties, you come to know what to expect in terms of music. It's usually a combination of whatever mainstream hip-hop, rap, and EDM remixes are popular at the time. If you're lucky, a decent mix of the three. Although a lot of the time it's the same old stuff you've heard over and over again ("Trap Queen" and "Cheerleader," I'm looking at you). You still dance like it's the first, because honestly, who wants to be a party pooper? But after a while they do get tiring. So I'm here to discuss the unsung hero of all party song selections, and my own personal favorite, the throwback.

It's hard to truly describe the explicable yet sensational feeling that overcomes me when a throwback comes on, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

1. Reclaiming my awkward years.

Back in middle school, I was an awkward gangly preteen that was so uncomfortable in my own skin. The idea of busting a move in front of my peers was a nightmare at best.

However, having grown into myself, it's almost rectifying when a middle school jam comes on. All those years of pent up dance moves can finally be unleashed, and instead of standing in the corner wishing I was dancing, I finally feel free to join in.

As someone who once mocked the quote "dance like nobody's watching," I have to say, maybe it's on to something after all. There's hardly anything as liberating as letting go with all of your friends and simply basking in each other's company without worry that people might be judging you. Chances are, those who are taking center stage and making a fool of themselves are having far more fun than those standing in the back wishing they could.

2. Reliving the memories.

Let's face it, we're getting older. Or let's not. It's a quick fix to relieve your nostalgia with a throwback.

When you take it back to the '90s and early 2000's, there's a good chance that a large percentage of the room will associate those songs with a childhood memory. There's also a good chance I'll go full-fledged Taylor Swift award show style.

Certain songs just instantly take you on a journey back to the good old days of cassette tapes and burnt CDs, long before Spotify and Soundcloud. Put on some old school Britney Spears, and it's like I'm in front of my mirror again, clutching my hairbrush, and trying to replicate the choreography in the "Oops!...I Did It Again" video.

3. Banding together.

When you put on something that's so infectious it has every person singing along, there's a sense of unity that just can't be found in today's hits.

If you run in the college party circuit, I'm sure you've heard the "In Too Deep" remix that circulated a lot this past semester and was widely popular. Why is it a fan favorite? Because when it comes on everyone goes crazy with the spirit of the early 2000's.

4. Dirty lyrics, unveiled.

I remember "Hot In Here" coming on in the car when I was about seven and knowing it was dirty, yet not knowing exactly why, but being smart enough to be embarrassed that my parents were in the same vicinity as me. Now we're old enough to not only decipher the lyrical content, but sing it loud and proud without feeling wrong or morally corrupt about it.

So next time you're questioning what song to pick, don't be afraid to venture out of what's expected. Blasts from the past are always the move and always a crowd pleaser. Throw on "Tipsy" and watch the room go wild.