I love the University of Washington. I love the beautiful buildings in the quad, going to football games, dressing up in purple and gold, and looking down Rainier Vista on sunny days. However, there are a few particularly annoying aspects of UW life that leave us students complaining.
Here are 10 small things particular to the University of Washington that put a damper on our day:
1. Trying to find a seat at the HUB
Only the most aggressive and determined people get tables, and if you aren't at that level, then apparently you're out of luck.
2. People who walk to class with umbrellas
I know you're not trying to poke my eye out, but sometimes it really seems like you're doing it on purpose. So just stop.
3. Having a class in Fisheries
Fisheries is so far removed from all other parts of campus that I occasionally wonder if it's technically still even in Seattle.
4. Even worse, having an 8:30 in FisheriesGiphy
Trudging to Fisheries at 8 a.m. is a punishment that I would not wish upon anyone. It's dark, the walk is treacherous, and there's a good chance your class is going to be in a dimly lit basement.
5. Having classes that are 10 minutes apart, but are on opposite ends of campusGiphy
To the people sprinting across campus in an attempt to make it to their next class: I see you. I support you. And I understand. All-in-all, I got you.
6. Needing to go to office hours but realizing that said office hours take place in PadelfordGiphy
It should have been named The Labyrinth instead on account of it being dark, impossible to navigate (quick question, why are there TWO basements in there???), and most likely hiding a secret monster. Welcome to the Chamber of Secrets.
7. When it rains and you have to figure out how to avoid the giant puddles in Red Square
We call them puddles but they are actually moderately sized lakes. Way too large to splash in rain boots, so that's a no for me.
8. Having to carefully shuffle through Red Square to avoid slippingGiphy
Everyone wipes out in Red Square at some point during their time at UW, and can you blame us? We have to walk to class over smooth bricks while living in a consistently rainy climate. It gets SLIPPERY. This seems like questionable planning to me.
9. Dorm windows that barely openGiphy
I'd like to speak with whoever designed the dorm windows (I'm looking at you, Lander Hall) to only open two inches. There is no possibility for air flow! The breezes can't even reach us! Our rooms are 85 degrees in the summer! Please send help.
10. Cherry blossom season
I support UW tourism, but I support myself getting to class on time more, and the tourists make that very difficult to accomplish.